Image Map

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Show Us Your Books: February 2019


Life According to Steph


February was a decent month of reading for me. The first two books were pretty heavy, but the third was slightly lighter. They all had a theme of family though, which was not at all intentional.


This book is one that will stay with me for a long time. I was warned of this by Jana, who featured it on her blog last month. The story follows the journey of a father who's son has been accused of shooting a prominent political figure. It's intriguing to see a crime from this angle -- not the shooter or a victim or a family of one of the victims. I think the family of the perpetrator is often forgotten or at least pushed to the back of our minds when things like this happen.  In a way, they are victims too. Throughout the father's journey to find answers, we learn that he has not been a perfect parent and he wonders how he missed the signs in his son. We also learn about other (real) shooters and their backgrounds. I powered through this book pretty quickly, anxious to find out how the story ends and whether or not the father finds any answers or closure.


After her husband has passed, Pival books a trip to America and a cross-country trek to find answers about her son, Rahi. He had come out to his very traditional parents a year earlier and then they learned he had died. Pival wanted to know how and why her son died ... and also how he lived in America. I'll admit it took me a little while to get into this one. I had a hard time caring about the characters at first. I think that's because there were so many of them to learn about, so the author could only touch on them a little to start. But as the story continues, I began to have more affection or at least understanding for the characters and I cared about how their journeys turned out. It was also interesting to see America from the viewpoint of the travelers.



I finished the month with a slightly lighter read. There was still a family theme here -- a daughter and father who run a failing orchard, a brother who thinks they should sell the orchard, and a father and son who spend a summer at the orchard, hiding from their own life's disappointments. I was almost immediately invested in these characters, and the author had a beautiful way of describing the landscape and conveying the importance of the orchard to this family. I also loved the slow burn of romance between two characters. It wasn't the focal point of the story, but it was a pleasant and relevant part of it.



Currently reading:


What's one of your favorite recent reads?


12 comments:

  1. The Simplicity of Cider's cover is pretty enough alone to make me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the Good father sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Good Father sounds really interesting, I'll have to see if I can get that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved The Almost Sisters! Hope you do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved The Good Father. I think it's great you got the perspective of the shooter's family.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, america for beginners sounds interesting and i'd be curious to read it and see what i agreed with or whatever. i own the simplicity of cider so hoping to get to it sometime this year.. or next year lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the Simplicity of Cider, I think I didnt expect to but ended up happy I read it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been interested in America for Beginners for a while now! You've prompted me to request it from the library :) The Simplicity of Cider also looks good - any good food tie-ins?

    - Megan @ The Hungry Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Simplicity of Cider sounds good for a break from my serial killer books LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Good Father sounds really intriguing, adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you liked the Good Father. It's definitely his best book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have The Simplicity of Cider on my shelf and can't wait to read it. Somehow I never seem to "get to it". XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover