Image Map

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Still running

In case you missed my earth-shattering announcement -- I am training to run my first 5K.

I'm currently on week three of the nine-week program. This is my toughest week yet. Weeks one and two felt like a breeze, but this one is definitely a challenge.  Tuesday, I tried to run in the morning (to try and beat the heat), but it didn't work out so well.  First, I wasn't very awake, so I didn't really have the energy to really move.  Second, it was garbage day in my neighborhood, which didn't exactly give my wog (walk/jog) a pleasant aroma.  But I powered through.  Today, after work, in the 100+ degree index, I went for day two of week three.   The three-minute jogging intervals feel a bit torturous.  I may have to repeat week three next week.  I don't know.  We'll see how I feel on Saturday.

I really need to stop looking at the schedule for weeks ahead.  I could prevent a lot of freak outs. The thought of jogging 20 minutes without walking in the next few weeks frightens me.  I'm not convinced I can do that.  But this goal is all about challenging myself in a way I've never challenged myself before.  My body hasn't given out on me yet, but my mind isn't quite on the same page.  I really need to try and start pushing positive thoughts into my head.

I'm hoping to upgrade my shoes after I get back from vacation.  The friend who urged me to get into this running business has agreed to go shopping for these new shoes with me. 

Do any of my runner friends have any other tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover