Image Map

Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Fiver: Go-to movies

Winter is such a dull time. I don't make big plans (because I can't count on them happening), so I spend a lot of nights home in front of my computer and TV.  Then again, that's not much different from any other time of the year.  What can I say? I'm a housecat. I love being home.

Anyhow. I own a lot of movies.  My parents would probably say I own too many.  They might be right, but oh well.  I love my movies.  I'm also a Netflix subscriber, but I've mostly been using that for TV series lately.  I quickly run out of new movies I want to see. That's funny in a way, because in my collection there are staples that I turn to anytime I'm bored and just need something to entertain me for a few hours.  Here are five of them.


"Good Will Hunting"
This is, and will probably always be, my favorite movie of all time.  Jamie (my best friend from high school) and I saw it in the theaters seven times together during our senior year.  Thus, the movie always reminds me of that carefree time and some of the memories we shared. And it's Matt Damon.  With a heavy Boston accent.  Yum.
Favorite quote:  "Men are shameless. If you're not thinking with your wiener, then you're acting directly on its behalf."


"How To Deal"
Mandy Moore is one of my girl crushes, and I absolutely love this movie.  I don't know why I like it so much either. Trent Ford is pretty yummy, but he's not the best piece of eye candy.  And the end is so predictable.  But still.  I adore it. 
Favorite quote: "The quickest way to ruin a relationship with someone is to actually try to have a relationship with them."


"Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist"
Kat Dennings + Michael Cera = love.  I watch this movie at least once a month.  It makes me want to chase a band around New York City and kiss a boy on the escalator.  Mmmm.
Favorite quote: "Look, other bands, they want to make it about sex or pain, but you know, The Beatles, they had it all figured out, okay? 'I Want to Hold Your Hand.' The first single. It's effing brilliant, right?... That's what everybody wants, Nicky. They don't want a twenty-four-hour hump sesh, they don't want to be married to you for a hundred years. They just want to hold your hand."


"A League of Their Own"
It may not be my favorite baseball movie, but it's definitely up there.  So much goodness.  First of all, there are some timeless quotes.  I don't have to name them.  You know them.  You've said them.  And, by the way, there IS crying in baseball. 
Favorite quote: "Uh, Lord, hallowed be Thy name. May our feet be swift; may our bats be mighty; may our balls... be plentiful..."


"Dirty Dancing"
This has been a favorite for so long.  The soundtrack is amazing, the dancing is so fun to watch and, again, it's super quoteable.  "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."  *sigh*  Long live the appeal of Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey!!
Favorite quote: "I carried a watermelon. I carried a watermelon?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover