Image Map

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The secret is ... red velvet?

I know I'm not the only one who indulged over the holidays.  New Year's weekend was the worst.  I made a batch of red velvet cupcakes -- using my brand new cupcake pans (thanks Mom and Dad!) -- and proceeded to eat them over the course of the weekend. By myself.  They're basically the only thing I ate ... well, along with oatmeal for breakfast and taco soup for all my lunches and dinners. 

Needless to say, I dreaded getting on the scale when I got to Curves yesterday.  To my surprise, the number was five pounds lighter than I expected and three pounds lighter than a week ago. Before all the red velvet cupcakes.

What is that all about? 

Actually, I'm more convinced than ever that weight loss is linked to emotions and stress.  For most of the time I was eating all these cupcakes, I was completely carefree and happy.  A similar thing happened to me last spring.  I went to visit a friend for a long weekend.  While I was there, I was less careful about what I was eating.  I enjoyed french pastries, enchiladas and beignets. And I didn't workout the whole time I was there.  But when I got home, I'd lost four pounds. Amazing.

I don't think I could continue that and reach my weight-loss goals, but I will definitely be doing what I can to keep myself stress-free and happy as I work toward them.  That means no beating myself up when I've had a bad week, and no worrying about things (and people) I can't change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover