Image Map

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Friday Fiver: TV shows of my youth

Friday was a mess of stress and bad news for me, so I just didn't have the energy to blog when I got home.  So today you'll get a double dose of "Unabashedly Me."  Hope you don't mind.

Nostalgia is my drug. I love remembering things about my youth, whether it's movies, music, shows or just times I had with friends and family.  Not because the movies, music or shows were any better then than they are today (although in some cases, I might disagree), but because it was a simpler time.  I didn't have to worry about the next paycheck, paying bills or buying a house.  I just got to be a kid -- a very boycrazy girl, who loved sitcoms and musical TV shows, as you'll see in my list of five shows I absolutely HAD to watch when I was younger.



"MMC" (aka "The New Mickey Mouse Club")
It should surprise no one who knows me that this tops my list.  I used to rush home from school to turn on the Disney Channel for my dose of skits, interviews and -- the best part -- the musical numbers.  I can't lie, part of the reason I watched was for all of the cute guys -- Jason Minor, Blaine Carson, Dale Godboldo, Ricky Luna JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake, Ryan Gosling and Tate Lynche, just to name a few in no particular order. I had a crush on a number of the boys.  And it seemed to change with each season (some things never change). My biggest crushes were Tony Lucca and T.J. Fantini. (I must have a thing for Italian men that I've never really pursued.) I also dreamed of being best friends with the likes of Keri Russell, Ilana Miller, Jennifer McGill, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Nikki DeLoach. Basically, I wanted to join the cast of "MMC."  I never would have had the guts or the talent to audition, but it was a fun dream.  I'm still a fan of all of the former "mouseketeers," and as you might guess or be aware, several of them are still in show business. MMC 4eva!



"Kids Incorporated"
This show was on right before "MMC," so it was a full afternoon of Disney programming for me.  This is when Fergie was just Stacy Ferguson and Jennifer Love Hewitt was just Love.  Eric Balfour was on this show too.  Am I forgetting anyone memorable?  Again, this show was mostly these kids who regularly performed covers of popular (or once popular) songs in between bouts of regular teen drama. 



"The Wonder Years"
Even before I fell for the boys of "MMC," I was in love with Kevin Arnold.  Indeed, Fred Savage was my first celebrity crush. (I'm sure Danica McKellar was the first crush for many boys my age.)  I was so jealous of Winnie Cooper, but I completely related to her and their tentative romance. I still think Fred is adorable years later, and I pause on The Hub whenever they're showing "The Wonder Years."



"Step by Step"
I don't really know what it is I loved about this show.  It was sort of a modern day "Brady Bunch," with two adults with children coming together to blend their families into one.  The typical conflicts and drama followed.  Pretty sure I thought Brandon Call was yummy too.



"Doogie Howser, M.D."
He was the original blogger, right?  And now he's Barney Stinson.  Seriously, though, who didn't love Neil Patrick Harris.  It's funny now to look back and picture him as a teenage doctor, but he was very serious about it all.  And yet for as gifted as he was in medicine, he still had all the same teenage problems -- girls, friends, peer pressure.


Honorable mentions:
"Full House"
"Just the 10 of Us"
"Family Matters"
"Mr. Belvedere"

2 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to reruns of Doogie on The Hub. I love how NPH perfected the pensive head tilt on every episode when he logged his thoughts. And I keep wanting him to write something like, "Vinnie's new film was legend - wait for it - dary." lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love Doogie Howser! Great list.

    I found you through Blog Star.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover