Image Map

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Bird is the word

Sorry for that "Family Guy" reference. I've never even seen a full episode of that show, but I know that clip very well. 

Anyhow, it seemed like an appropriate headline for today's post in which Twitter is the hero!  I love facebook, but I definitely use Twitter more.  I suppose it's like having two friends you like the same, but for some reason or another, you just tend to spend more time with one.  Either way, this weekend Twitter saved me some aggravation -- twice.

Example 1:
Thursday afternoon, I got home from work ready to install my wireless internet.  It was supposed to be installed on Friday the 15th, but then I got a call it was delayed until Monday the 18th.  No big deal.  I found an unsecure connection in my neighborhood to sustain me for awhile.  I didn't hear anything after that, so I figured it went through without a hitch, and I finally had some time Thursday to go through the installation process.  My modem and computer were connecting fine, but my modem didn't seem to be able to find the DSL connection. 

I called the Qwest 24/7 help line only to find out they were closed.  At 5:30 p.m. on a Thursday.  How 24/7 is that?  They did have an automated message to give me a status of my acccount, and according to the voice, my internet service would be available on September 9, 9900 at 12:00 a.m.  So I have to wait 7,000 years for internet?  Are you kidding me!?!??! 

I was frustrated and angry, and I vented my feelings on Twitter.  Within moments, I had a message from a Qwest customer support representative.  He looked up my account and saw that the order was on hold for some reason.  He told me to wait for the order's completion but couldn't give me any time frame for that happening.  I figured it'd be a few weeks and just accepted that I'd be hijacking someone else's connection for awhile.

Wrong.

At noon on Friday, a Qwest repair guy showed up and began working on my issue.  He spent three and a half hours in my yard and house, but by the end of his visit, I had internet.  Less than 24 hours after my Twitter complaint.  Score one for @talktoqwest on Twitter.  It definitely made my weekend.

Example 2:
Friday morning, I decided I needed to color my hair.  As always, I put down some old, dark colored towels before I started.  I thought I did pretty well keeping the dye to my hair until I noticed a big purple splotch on the linoleum floor.  Swearing to myself, I began scrubbing at it, but the stain wouldn't budge.  I tried googling for a solution, but I didn't find anything I hadn't tried yet.

I went to Twitter and asked my followers for help.  Within five minutes, I had some suggestions -- rubbing alcohol, Soft Scrub and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  I really should have thought of that last one, because I think those are the greatest things on earth. 

So, Saturday morning I set out to get supplies for my mission.  Now, I can't tell you the exact formula or order of application, but a combination of the suggested supplied worked.  I let a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol sit on the stain for several hours, then I would scrub it with some soft scrub and a Magic Eraser.  I've been doing that in cycles since Saturday morning, and the stain is now nearly gone.  I'm so excited.  And so grateful.  I've only been in my house a week -- I hated the thought of ruining the floor already.  Next time I dye my hair, I'll be putting down even more towels.

Thank goodness for Twitter!! Two crises were averted.

Speaking of homeownership, I am completely indecisive when it comes to decorating.  I keep changing my mind about color schemes.  I have about 20 paint chips hung up in my living room, bedroom and bathroom, and I haven't a clue which ones I like best.  Someone come pick my colors for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover