Image Map

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Here comes the sun

Growing up, I always felt pressure to try and tan like all my friends were doing.  Since I'm a redhead, you can imagine how successful I was.  In high school, I followed the flock and climbed in a tanning bed before prom.  It didn't help much, but I did it anyway.  I had heard about all the risks -- including skin cancer -- but I was simply of the mindset that it wouldn't happen to me.

A few years ago, I got involved with the American Cancer Society.  I've met and talked with so many cancer survivors, and I realized cancer is a ruthless enemy.  It doesn't need reason to attack, so why should I tempt it? 

I'm done being irresponsible with my skin.  I use real sunscreen all the time now (at least 30 spf, and often higher).  I even make sure my daily makeup has sun protection in it.  I miss a few spots here and there sometimes, but I'm a lot smarter about it than I used to be.  I know my improved skin care will not only help me dodge cancer, but it will also keep the wrinkles at bay.  Here's to getting carded at liquor stores for years to come!

Because of this, I chose to take the Sun Savvy Pledge.  I read about it on Danielle's blog, and I was all too happy to sign it.  What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover