Image Map

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

WLJ: Going down ... finally!

Sometimes all it takes is a few adjustments to start seeing a difference. I was so excited to see the number on the scale today.  I know I worked hard for it, and it motivates me to keep going.

After feeling so frustrated the past few weeks and really blaming myself for my lack of progress, I decided to take a hard look at my habits. Even though I was staying within my weekly points on a consistent basis, there was obviously something not working. I needed to make some changes.

My friend, Jaci, mentioned monitoring my carbs. She didn't say to cut them out completely ... just to watch them. Obese women with PCOS (that's me) are seven times more likely to develop diabetes or heart disease because of insulin resistance. Sounds like diabetes already, doesn't it? It's not, but I'm definitely treating it like it's pre-diabetes. It's been suggested that women with PCOS should restrict carbs to about 40 percent of their diet.  I have no idea how to figure out how much that is (math is not my thing), so I'm not going to be too precise about it.  I just need to eat less of the refined carbs (bread and artificial sugars), and stick to the good, naturally-occurring ones.  I'm still working through "The Insulin Resistance Diet" book Caroline suggested.  I'll be sure to offer some highlights/notes when I'm done.

I also looked at my activity levels.  Even though I was earning 20 activity points a week, I realized these were scattered across several days.  You know that whole 30 minutes a day workout suggestion?  Turns out that's really just for people who are already in good shape.  People who want to lose weight should workout for an hour at a time.  A 2008 study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that those who were exercising 68 minutes a day, five days a week, managed to lose 10 percent of their starting body weight, and subsequently keep it off.  Hmm.  An hour.  I can do that.  For the past week, that's exactly what I've been doing.  I spend the first 30 minutes on strength, yoga and balance exercises on the Wii Fit.  Then I get to my favorite -- Zumba for Wii.  Right now, I'm still in the 20-minute classes, but I can't wait to unlock the 45-minute sessions and, ultimately, the hour-long Zumbathon.  Am I crazy?  No.  And if you've tried Zumba you understand.  I'm sure I look ridiculous doing it, but it's so much fun, I hardly feel like it's exercise, yet I'm sweating like mad when I'm done.

Also, as I mentioned last week, I have stayed off soda.  Several of my friends who are losing weight still drink pop, but I think they're just much better at self-moderation than I am.  I have tried to quit soda several times in the past, but then after a month or two, I'll have one.  Just one.  Or so I tell myself.  But one turns into one or more a day.  I can't stop at just one.  So it's best if I just stay away completely.  And you know what?  I'm sleeping much better and I'm not hungry as often.  And, yes, I believe pop affects both of those things.

Other things happened this week that contributed to my loss, but I will not be sharing the details of those.  But I felt like I should mention it to remind myself that even though my efforts are good, there are other things at play too, and I can't get too relaxed about my habits.


Weight-loss goal: 40 lbs.
This week's progress: -2.8 lbs.
Progress to date: -7.8 lbs.
Non-scale victory: I tried on dresses at a store last week and actually fit into something with a "small" tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover