Image Map

Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday Fiver - Fears

I have a really vivid imagination.  This is both a blessing and a curse.  On one hand, it enhances my writing, my enjoyment of music and my ability to empathize with others.  On the other hand, it can form a grip on things and images I'd rather not carry with me.  I am just way too good at creeping myself out.  That imagination of mine can take any little noise or shadow and come up with a dozen scary scenarios.  I don't need that.  I also don't need nightmares.  Pleasant dreams only, please.

Because of the downside, I tend to stay away from horror movies whenever I can help it.  A desire to be cool with friends made me view "The Candyman" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" when I was a teenager.  I saw the "Scream" movies (most of them anyway), a few in the "Final Destination" series and "I Know What You Did Last Summer." You won't find me watching any of those or any new horror movies nowadays.  Although I do enjoy "Ghost Adventures" and "Criminal Minds," which have been known to haunt me as well.  But I watch them anyway.  Go figure.

I know a lot of people enjoy being scared, but I am not among them.  This weekend, some friends are coming to visit, and we have tentative plans to go to a haunted house.  Not my first choice of activity, but I like my friends, so I'll go.  (I went to one last year for the same reason.)  I have requested that we go early in the evening in hopes that my feelings of fright will be gone by the time we turn in for sleep.

Since we're on the topic of fears, here are some situations that creep me out ...

1.  Driving beside a semi.   
I just keep hearing that PSA "don't hang out in the 'no' zone" every time I'm stuck beside a big rig.  I get really tense and nervous until I'm safely past them.

2.  Going into my house in the dark at night.
I guess I've seen too many episodes of "Criminal Minds" and "Law & Order: SVU."  I usually leave a light on if I know I'm going to return after dark.  Sometimes I forget though, and I don't relax until I've turned lights on and checked every room, closet and the shower.

3.  Creepy dolls.
I blame this on the fact that I watched "Child's Play" when I was about 8.  After that, I had an irrational fear of my brother's My Buddy doll.  I think I even made my mom put it in the attic because I was afraid it would come to life and kill our family. 

4.  Clowns.
Stephen King's "It."  Enough said.

5.  Outdoor restrooms at a park.
Probably because of "The Candyman" movie. 


What creeps you out?  
Or are you one of those people who LOVES to be scared?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover