Image Map

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WLJ: Poor planning = poor progress


I've read this quote a few places, but it's never felt so applicable as it has this past week.

With my busy, on-the-go fall, I've slacked on my weekly meal planning.  Last week, nothing in my fridge or cupboards sounded good or easy enough for a lunch.  So what did I do?  Hit the drive thru.  Ugh.  Even with a 5K looming within days and plenty of healthy options in my kitchen (if I'd cared to put a little more energy into it), I chose fast food.

Bad Micah.

That's the lazy way out, and I know it. Because of my poor choices, I went over my weekly points.  I almost didn't go back and track, but I did.  I needed to see the damage I'd done.  It's a reality check.  I can't complain about slow progress if I'm not actually doing anything to remedy the situation.

I'm surprised I had a loss at all this week. I honestly expected a gain. I'll have to credit all the running I did last week because that's virtually the only thing I did right.  Time to get back on track.

So, I'm back to planning this week. I have visitors coming into town this weekend, but they've had their own (very successful!) weight-loss journeys, so I think I'll be on relatively good behavior.  Sure, there might be a treat or two, but I'm confident I'll eat more good things than bad.  My friend, Jill, is in a body bootcamp for women, which provided her a meal planning guide.  She shared it with me today, and while I probably won't follow it precisely, there are some great suggestions on there. 


Weight-loss goal: 40 lbs.
This week's progress: - 0.2 lbs.
Progress to date: -14 lbs.
Non-scale victory: I successfully completed my 5K last Saturday.  And by "successfully," I mean I ran the whole thing (goal 1) and finished in less than 40 minutes (goal 2).  The event's official time has me at 36 minutes, but my Nike ipod Plus told me I finished in 34:03 with an average pace of 10:48 per mile.  I'm choosing to believe my ipod.  But either way, I'm very happy with the results, and I'm looking forward to my next 5K in two weeks.  I may even start looking for a November race.  Am I crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover