Image Map

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

WLJ: Are you doing it for you or the moment?

Happy New Year!  I know I'm not the only one trying to get more fit right now.  Losing weight is one of the most popular new year's resolutions.  But there's a reason I don't set resolutions -- I never stick with them.  And even though I love New Year's and think of it as a clean slate, I think everyday is as good as Jan. 1 to decide you want to make a change. But unless you set small goals to achieve a larger goal, you likely won't follow through.

I discovered this post last week, and it really made me stop and think.


I plan to bookmark it as a reminder of why I want to get more fit. I'm not giving up my deadlines or goals, but ultimately, I need to remember why I'm really doing this. It's not about looking good for my spring vacations, next summer or the next wedding I'll be attending. In fact, it's not just about looking good, it's about feeling better and being healthier.  It's about ME.

I had my last session with my trainer last week, but I've continued to return to the fitness center.  Largely, I do the things she showed me.  Fortunately, none of our three sessions were exactly alike, so I'm able to change it up a little so I don't get bored and my body doesn't get complacent.  I want to try some of the classes this week, so we'll see how that goes.  So far, I really like the fitness center.  Everyone is friendly, and I don't feel overly self-conscious (although some of that is still there).  I would like to continue my membership and possibly even sign up for a few personal training sessions a month ... just to see if I'm doing enough on my own.  But so far, I'm happy with the way things are going.

Weight-loss goal: 40 lbs.
This week's progress: +/- 0 lb.
Progress to date: -12.2 lbs.
Non-scale victory: In the past week, I've worked out everyday except Friday and Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover