Image Map

Monday, July 23, 2012

Music Monday: Selections from "RENT"

On Saturday night, my best friend treated me to a production of "RENT" for my birthday.  It's one of my all-time favorite musicals.  I've seen it at least five times -- all regional or local productions, and all fabulous.  Everytime I see it (or another show), I instantly miss the days when I was involved in theatre.  There weren't many, admittedly.  I was in three high school productions and always in the ensemble, but I loved it.

Anyhow, after Saturday night's show, I promptly listened to the soundtrack on my way home.  I thought I'd share a few of my favorites from it.


"Finale B"
"No day but today."
This is my favorite tune from the show.  I almost always get teary during it though since it's after a rather intense part of the show and also because it's the end.  And I never want the show to end. Above all, I just love the message in this song.  It's about living in the moment and not taking people or life for granted.

\\\\////

"Will I"
"Will I lose my dignity? Will someone care? Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?"
This song has such a somber tone to it.  Appropriately so.  It always gives me goosebumps.  Part of that is from the sadness and part is from the harmonies as it's performed in a round.  So awesome.

\\\\////

"La Vie Boheme"
"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."
Probably the third most iconic track from the show (after the title track and "Seasons of Love").  It's so fun!  I can imagine it's the most enjoyable number for the cast too.  P.S.  It's not right that Taye Diggs gets to look so fine while playing a "bad guy."

\\\\////

"Take Me or Leave Me"
"I hate mess but I love you. What to do with my impromptu baby?"
The lead-in line to this will never not make me smile and chuckle -- "There will always be women in rubber flirting with me."

\\\\\////

Do you have a different favorite from this show?
What's your favorite musical?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't ever seen rent, but my favorite is Les Mis. I have seen it a few times, and every time I am in awe of how moved I am.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover