Image Map

Monday, July 9, 2012

Music Monday: Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers

Last week, my music heart was broken.  In a special blog post, Stephen Kellogg announced that the band will be going on hiatus at the end of 2012. This is the band I've loved for eight years and seen 15 times (more than any other band/artist). 

A packed house at the Flying Mango (Des Moines) in 2008.

When I read the news, I may have cried.  OK, there's no "may" there.  I did.  I absolutely cried. 

Each of the members of the band is very talented and will no doubt go on to do great things (that I will wholeheartedly support), but I will sincerely miss SK6ERS.  They've given me so much good music and so many memories and good friends. So, I guess at the same time I mourn the loss of this band, I thank them for all they've given me.  I really hope one of their farewell tour dates is near me.  I need one last fix.  And if you've never seen them, I urge you to get out and catch them before it's too late.

In tribute, I'll share with you a few of my favorite SK6ERS songs. 


"My Sweet Charade"
I don't know why I love this one, but it's the one I ALWAYS request on concert calls.


"Song for Lovers"
I love what Stephen says in this song about Jesus and religion.  I absolutely agree.


"Milwaukee"
This one has resonated with me since the first time I heard it. And I love this video because it includes Kyle Riabko, who toured with them for a few months.


"A (With Love)"
This song shows off Stephen's incredible storytelling ability. This line gets me every time -- "And family, last time I checked, was a group of people who give you love when you least expect."


"We Belong Here"
I have been relating to this song a ton lately.  
"Well, it's nobody's business, but I happened to notice that some of those dreams you had died. But you've got no excuse for not building a castle when there's still a builder inside."


"My Favorite Place"
Stephen co-wrote this song with Tyrone Wells, and it's an absolute gem.  It's kind of how I feel about SK6ERS shows.  
"This is my favorite place, my worry slips away. I could stay here for days and days and days and days and days."


"Shady Esperanto and the Young Hearts"
The video for this one is just too fantastic.


"See You Later, See You Soon"
It's appropriate to end with this one.  It's a show staple, and the title pretty much sums up my message to these guys.

\\\\////

Yep, that's my interpretation of "a few."  This was really hard to keep this list small. Their entire catalog is a "no-skip" zone.  I'm really going to miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover