Image Map

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

WLJ: Fit is the new skinny

I've had a lot of comments on my weight-loss over the past few months.  People tell me how great I look, and they want to know what I've done to drop the extra pounds.

The most popular comment?  "You're so skinny."

I don't know why, but that term bothers me.  In my head, skinny has somewhat of a negative connotation.  It implies being super thin and almost frail-looking.  That definitely doesn't describe me, so I get a little touchy when someone calls me "skinny."  I just don't see myself like that.  I have curves, and I hope I'll always have them. Granted, I've lost four inches off my boobs (so sad) and six inches off my hips, but my curves are definitely still there. I will never be stick thin. And honestly, I don't want to be.  I love my curves.

I prefer the term "fit."  Even though it doesn't roll off the tongue as well, nor is it typically used in conversation.  I feel like it describes me better.  Sure, my weight and dress size are lower now, but more than that, I'm so much more fit than I was when I started this journey.  I can run three miles. I've walked five miles without getting winded. I've done Zumba, kettlebell and yoga.  I've come to enjoy being active.  I think "fit" fits me much better.

That said, people can use whichever term they want. I enjoy the compliments I've received.  I mean, who doesn't enjoy compliments?  I know I LOOK good, but I wish there was a way to convey how good I FEEL. I sleep better, stress out less frequently and have much more control over my emotions. I no longer dread trying on clothes, and I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in my skin.

It's amazing.


Weight-loss goal: 40 lbs.
This week's progress: -1 lb.
Progress to date: -33.2 lbs.
Non-scale victory: I made a ton of progress on publishing my new novel over the weekend.  I set up an author page on facebook, finalized my cover and ordered a proof.  I should have the proof copy sometime next week, and if all looks good, the book will be available for purchase within a few weeks.  I cannot wait!!

1 comment:

  1. "Skinny" definitely has a negative connotation. When people say, "you're so skinny", it makes me feel like I've done something wrong. I prefer "toned". Or at least "thin". I work hard to stay "toned", and "skinny" and "toned" are not the same thing.
    I've never had a curve in my life and I'm okay with that. We're all different :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover