Image Map

Friday, January 4, 2013

A few random firsts

Lucky you!  You get two entries from me today.
I already posted about books I've read this week. Now you get to learn a little more about me.

 
I've seen a ton of bloggers do this. I've seen it so many times, I can't even list everyone.  
Most recently, I snagged it from Amber so I can jump on board too.

\\\\////

First thing you do when you wake up in the morning: 
I hit the alarm a few times and then check my phone for e-mails, Twitter and facebook notifications.

First thing you reach for when you open the fridge: 
Probably a bottle of water.  Or baby carrots.  I eat them all the time.

First things you do when you get to the gym: 
I don't actually go to a gym anymore.  But when I go to my yoga class, the first thing I do is unroll my mat and take off my shoes and socks.

First thing you do when you get home from work: 
Greet the furbabies, check the mail and change for a workout.  If I stop to do anything else, I will never get my workout in.

First car: 
1988 Chevrolet Corsica.  The passenger door didn't open from the outside, and it didn't have a radio.  Oh, and the trunk didn't lock either.  Anyone could have broken in that way, but no one wanted to, I guess.

First accident/traffic violation: 
First accident - I was driving my friend, Betsy, home from school on a wintery day.  The roads were a sheet of ice, and we slid off the road into a ditch.  We were only a few feet from a culvert, so it could have been a lot worse.  And luckily, her house was only a 1/4 mile walk.  Not so fun in the ice and cold, but we made it.

First traffic violation - I actually got this when I had my school permit.  I came home from school one evening, and there was a sheriff's car in my driveway.  Scary, right?  Well, that's the day I learned you have to stop for a school bus  -- even if they're coming from the opposite direction and don't yet have their "stop" sign out.  I only got a warning, but it was scary enough.

First thing you wanted to be when you grew up: 
Oh, this is ironic after the last answer.  I wanted to be a school bus driver.

First choice beverage: 
Usually coffee. 

First choice breakfast: 
If I'm on the go, it's usually a banana and yogurt.
If I have a little more time, I do eggs and a bagel or cereal (I love Multi-Grain Cheerios).

First choice dessert: 
Tiramisu.

First song that comes to mind: 
"Cups" from "Pitch Perfect"

First major purchase: 
I think I contributed to the purchase of my first car.  That's all I can think of right now.

First job: [aside from babysitting]
Detassling corn.  It's a rite of passage in Iowa, I think.  Not sure what it is?  Wikipedia describes it as "Removing the tassels from all the plants of one variety leaves the grain that is growing on those plants to be fertilized by the tassels of the other resulting in a hybrid." I just remember having to get out of bed and onto a bus when it was still dark and ride out to fields where I was too short to see over the corn, soaking wet from the dew within an hour and terrified of discovering mice and snakes in the field.
 
First time you flew on a plane: 
I was 20.  Yep.  Old, right?  At least it was for something fun.  I got to go to Washington, D.C., with Sally for a college media convention.  When we weren't in seminars and award ceremonies, we were seeing everything we could.  As we were stopped at a crosswalk, a car pulled up carrying Bill Clinton (who was the current president and en route to the dedication of one of the memorials).  He waved to us!!  We thought it was pretty cool.

\\\\///

Time to put on some tunes and get to work on some cleaning.  
My house has been horribly neglected the past few weeks during my holiday travel.
Cleaning is easier when I have something to sing along to.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo I love this!! I need to do this sometime :) I was 19 when I went on a plane the first time, and I was alone! I've only flown with others on 1 trip, even though I've been on 5 trips that I flew to.

    And um YES. Tiramisu every day.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover