Image Map

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My double blog life

I decided it was time for me to come clean.  If you've been reading this blog or following me on facebook, twitter, or instagram for any length of time, this might not be news.  For anyone else, well ... I'm sorry to break it to you, but I am a blog cheater.

That's right.  I have two blogs I (attempt to) keep up with on a daily basis.  At least for a portion of the year.

This space right here is for my ramblings about life, dating, music, and other random things going on.  I often struggle with the question of how personal is too personal and how vague is too vague.  I don't know where walls are needed and where I need to open up more.  I'm still figuring that all out, I guess.

My other space allows me a different kind of sharing.  It's where I share my love of the sport of baseball and my thoughts about the Texas Rangers. It's called "Baseball is My Boyfriend."

Screenshot of my baseball blog -- Baseball is My Boyfriend

I lost my close friend, Amy, at the start of the 2006 season (you can read more about her here) and along with a companion and trusted confidant, I also lost my outlet for talking all things Rangers.  I no longer had daily email exchanges and chats about the latest game, transaction, or news clip.  And I moved back to Iowa shortly after her death, so the people around here were not at all interested in talking Texas baseball with me.

So, I decided to start writing a blog.  That was at the start of the 2007 season.  I was still learning about the game and trying to find my way into baseball fandom, so I'm kind of glad I don't know where those posts are anymore. I still have some of the ones saved from early 2008, but they're tucked away in privacy.  Trust me, you're better off that way.

BBIMBF has moved platforms a few times, but in 2008, I was invited to join a network of (primarily) sports bloggers known as MyTeamRivals.  I've been there ever since, and I have to say it's a really nice fit.  There are very few rules, and the set-up is fairly easy to navigate although I'm still discovering new features. And only this year did I set up a Facebook page for my blog.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I'm an expert on baseball. I'm definitely not.  I'm just a fan.  My posts are game recaps, but they're really just my reflection on the game.  There might be some stats, but I'm ruled more by emotion and what I'm thinking.

I don't blog after every game, although I definitely try.  And during the off-season, I definitely take an extended break.  But I come back to it every spring.  I almost didn't this year as my life has gotten busier and I wasn't sure how it would fit into my schedule.  But so far I'm making it work.  And I'm so glad I didn't give it up.  I would have missed that outlet.

I even have a separate Twitter account for my baseball ramblings.
Much like the blog you're reading now, my baseball blog has helped me find a community of other fans.  I no longer feel alone as a Rangers fan in Iowa.  During games, you'll find me on my BBIMBF Twitter account, live-tweeting the game with other Rangers fans.  I've made so many friends, some of which I've met in person, and others I can only hope to meet someday soon.

Whew. I feel better now that this is off my chest.  The truth is, I've had my baseball blog longer than I've had this blog.  Does that still make me a cheater?  Ha ha.


1 comment:

  1. I think that means you're cheating on your baseball blog with this one. ;-)

    I love the name! Sounds like a really fun blog. I'm kind of obsessed with baseball and getting to be more so every season. Last night, my roommate and I were laughing as we discussed the fact that we were two grown women watching baseball on TV and that it has definitely gone from being something we only watching IN the stadium to pretty much a full-blown obsession.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover