Image Map

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

How do you do it?

It's always fun when someone asks me what I do for a living. Well, I always say, I work in the insurance industry during the day, but I also work at a library and a brewery (that's two separate places, though a combined library and brewery would be awesome).

When I tell people I have three jobs, the reaction is usually the same -- shock.  They always want to know how I do it, how I know where I'm supposed to be and when. And often, they wonder if I still have time for other things, you know -- fun, working out, and sleep.

Yes, I'm very busy, but I don't mind.

Honestly, most of the time it barely registers with me that I am working a lot.  This is likely because my two part-time jobs are fun for me.  I enjoy my day job, but both of my side gigs feed one of my interests, which makes them feel less like work and more like getting paid to talk about or be around things I love.

Also, even with three jobs, my work schedule is fairly steady.  Once I'm in a routine, it's very easy to know where I'm supposed to be.  But I do put my library and brewery shifts in my phone calendar as a back-up.

Here's what this week looks like for me including workouts and other events:

Monday
6 a.m. ... Work out
7:30 a.m.  - 4 p.m. ... Insurance job
5 p.m. - 8:15 p.m. ... Library job
8:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.  ...  Visit with a friend

Tuesday
6 a.m.  ... Work out
7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. ... Insurance Job
4:30 p.m.- 5:30 p.m. ... Work out with my trainer
6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. ... Barley's Angels meeting (this is a monthly occurrence)

Wednesday
6 a.m. ... Work out
7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. ... Insurance Job
5 p.m. - 8:15 p.m. ... Library job

Thursday
A day of PTO ... I'm taking a day trip to watch some baseball

Friday
7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. ... Insurance job
4:30 p.m. - midnight ... Brewery job

Saturday
9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. ... Workout
1 p.m. - 7 p.m. ... Brewery job

Sunday
1 p.m.-3 p.m. ... Seeing a movie with a friend
7 p.m. - 10 p.m. ... Better Than Ezra concert for a friend's birthday


Outside of the day of PTO, this is a pretty standard week for me.  I also work every other Sunday at the library.

It's really not so bad.  Sometimes, I struggle with getting laundry and cleaning done, but I've learned how to work those chores in when I can.

A lot of people asked me why I didn't give up my two part-time jobs when I took a new position with a pay increase in July.

Honestly, the answer is two-fold.

First, I have some debt I'm trying to pay down so I can maybe buy a house next year.  My side gigs are helping me do that and giving me extra money for the fun things I want to do.  I was able to fly to Texas for a few days earlier this summer because of these extra funds. And I'm going to Baltimore in a few months too. I wouldn't be able to afford travel AND pay down debt without my part-time jobs.

Secondly, I thoroughly enjoy working at the library and the brewery. Sure, there are days I'd like to stay home instead, but for the most part, I look forward to those shifts.  I like talking to people about books and beer. It's fun to help someone find the perfect reading material or a new favorite brew.

Obviously, I won't be able to do all of this forever. In fact, I'll likely be looking at scaling back around this time next year.  It will be a very hard decision as I'm attached to both of my side gigs. I feel like they're a huge part of me.  But I also recognize I need some more downtime for writing and other things.  Good thing I have another year before I have to make any cuts.

Until then, I'm a three-job girl.


4 comments:

  1. I think that's interesting. It's cool to be able to make money on the side while doing things you actually like. Whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One job that will make you millions: Open a bar-library ;)
    There ya go. Problem solved.
    I love that idea. A bunch of beer on tap, and a huge cozy lounge to just sit, read, and get a little buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First - a library plus a brewery sounds like my kind of establishment. Second - you have 3 jobs and you are still diligent in your exercise plan. That is impressive! (and makes me feel like a lazy mofo) Third - enjoy Better Than Ezra. I saw them ages ago, and remember that I was impressed with the vocals and musicianship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that if you enjoy what you're doing, it doesn't really feel like work. I actually found that the busier I am, the more I get accomplished at home too, oddly enough. Plus, you were able to schedule in fun and down time for yourself, which is important. Sounds like a good balance to me!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover