Image Map

Friday, December 2, 2016

Turkey Trot 5K recap

For the second year in a row, I started my Thanksgiving with a 5K. The same race, actually.  I enjoyed the one I did last year so much, I decided to do it again.

And for the second year in a row, I ran into some friends unexpectedly before the race. Bryan and Lisa, with whom I went to college, were back in town from Texas for the holiday. I hadn't seen them in probably 10 years, so it was really fun to catch up and chat about our lives and our running goals. They had just done a half-marathon the previous weekend. Warriors.

Anyhow, I was not feeling very prepared for this 5K. To say I missed my November running goal of 30 miles in 30 days is an understatement. I was sick for one week and I just had so many other things going on. Not a great excuse, but it is what is. I'm disappointed in myself, but I'm choosing to just pick up and keep moving.

So I hadn't run a decent distance in more than a week before the race. I wasn't sure how my legs would react. Turns out they were fine ... at least after I got started. Right out of the gate, my ankles gave up and I nearly went tumbling to the ground. Somehow, I kept my footing and kept moving. But my ankles were sore for most of the run. I powered through regardless, and I felt pretty good when I crossed the finish line.



Time = 35:13

Not great, but not bad for someone who hasn't been running consistently.

+++++

Last week's workouts
Friday: Off
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off
Monday: Cardio kickboxing

Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Yoga

Thursday: 2-mile run

I sound like a broken record, but I really am working to find my motivation to work out more and eat better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover