Image Map

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sunday Sweats: Iowa Wild Breakaway 5K recap

This race could really be told in three parts. Each mile was very different.

For whatever reason, my ankles hated me at the start of the race. Just across the start line, they threatened to give out and I almost fell down. Then they hurt for the entire first mile. Ached is probably a better word. It wasn't sharp pain, just a mild aggravation. This has happened my past few races out, and I'm wondering if I just need to stretch more or do something else to loosen them up.

The second mile felt really long. I thought I'd never get to the turnaround point. And even after I finally did reach it, the next stretch felt endless. It probably didn't help that I was playing leapfrog with a person who was utilizing the walk-run method. I'd pass her when she was walking, then she'd pass me when she was running. Then I'd catch up again. Repeat.

I finally started to feel good in the last mile. It might have been the high five from the little boy who was offering up free slaps. Or maybe my body just finally accepted what was happening and decided to enjoy it.



Overall, it was a good race. My time was OK. The Iowa Wild swag was awesome. My packet included two free game tickets and I received a flag at the finish. There were a bunch of other great things in the packet as well. The weather was perfect -- 50s and partly sunny. But it was a reminder that I need to get out and run more regularly. Even though I CAN crank out 3.1 miles after not running consistently doesn't mean I SHOULD. Also, I definitely need new running shoes.

+++++

Last week's workouts
Sunday - Off
Monday - Total Cardio Xtreme
Tuesday - Booty Camp Class + 2-mile run
Wednesday - Tabata Class
Thursday - Barre/Cardio Class
Friday - Circuit workout with Sean
Saturday - Off

Be sure to check out Sunday Sweats posts from Holly and Christy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover