Image Map

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Wedding Wednesday: The dress

Important note: None of the dresses pictured in this post are the one I chose.  

I had mixed feelings about going shopping for my wedding dress.

On one side, I was really excited to find what I'd be wearing when I marry Sean. I've often said that the only things I care about in my wedding are good beer, good music, and wearing a pretty dress. I've watched lots of "Say Yes to the Dress," so I was looking forward to putting on a gown, looking at myself in the mirror, and just knowing it was the one.

On the other side, I knew that I'm a terrible shopper. I don't like trying things on. And if I get a tunnel vision about what I want, I usually find nothing. I was also worried nothing would fit me or make me feel beautiful. I was really nervous I'd end the day with no dress and no self-esteem.

Fortunately, none of my worries came true.

Sure, I was a bit dismayed by the size of dress I had to try on. It was three sizes larger than what I usually wear. (Who decided that was a good idea?) I actually ended up ordering a dress four sizes larger than my everyday wear. I didn't like the number but at the end of the day, I realized no one will know what number is on the size of the tag. Except me. And I just have to get over that mental game.

My first stop of the day was a bridal consignment store. With a modest dress budget, I thought this might be my best bet. The downside was that there was no consultant. It was just me wiggling into dresses and my friends closing them up for me. I tried on a bunch of silhouettes to see if I could rule out anything. We quickly nixed the mermaid style for me. It just made me look short. And I don't need any help in that department. I probably tried on six to eight dresses at this store. There was a dress with red detail we loved, but the material was better suited for a winter wedding not an outdoor affair in June, so it went back into the racks. We also liked this strapless number with some lace.



I loved how it gave me shape and how it felt. I didn't think I wanted anything with a lot of detail or a big skirt, but I really liked this dress.  I honestly thought this might be the one, but I wasn't ready to commit. Because the shop was a consignment store, they couldn't "hold" the dress for me (even for a few hours), but they advised us to "hide" it so we could come back for it at the end of the day if we still wanted it.

At the next store, I had a consultant helping me with the dresses. This made the process so much smoother. She knew the best way to get in and out of them. I tried on about six dresses at this store. There were different things I liked and didn't like about them.











Finally, I put one on that I didn't want to take off. It was simple and had the light feel I wanted. There's just enough detail to make it interesting, and it really flattered my figure. I wanted to wear it all day. That's how I knew it was the one.

Also, it was within my budget. And I got to get a brand new dress even though I'd accepted that I might have to buy right off the clearance or consignment rack. Total win all the way around.

Neither shop would let us open champagne for mimosas (something about having a license), which was a little disappointing. But we all went out for a drink once the shopping was over.

I was so pleased to have another wedding detail checked off. And I can't wait to see my dress again. And wear it, of course.

How did you know when you found your wedding dress? Did you have any surprises?


7 comments:

  1. I really like that last one!
    I got the first one I tried on...I had found a picture online and then found a store that had it. And I remember it was like 4 sizes too big but then they all but cut it down to fit me and I really didn't understand the purpose of that. The hardest part, I thought, was choosing shoes.
    Also, veils are overrated. Everyone hugs you and it just pulls down the back of the veil and ruins your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the exact same feeling about my dress! I tried on a few I like and one I thought I would go back to another store for if I didn't find anything else I liked. But when I tried on the one, I didn't want to take it off and didn't want to try on anymore dresses. There was no crying or gushing, just the feeling of "I'm done and I don't want to take this off."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you made the right choice on the dress, it looks amazing on you, can't wait to see it again on the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all gorgeous on you! I can't wait to see what you picked and I'm so happy you felt like it was the one. I love that last one! Does it have pockets? Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love that last one! Wedding dress shopping is so fun! My mom made my dress so I was really only shopping for ideas, but it was still fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that last one! So I can imagine the one you chose is even more fantastic! Congratulations on finding your wedding dress, and definitely don't worry about the size number! Wedding dress sizes are weird. Plus, since they're pretty much the only clothing normal people actually have altered, it'll fit you like a glove!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous. I love that last one and I can't wait to see what you actually chose! You're going to be a stunning bride!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover