Image Map

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Brutal honesty

I am a big fan of honesty among friends.  The longer the friendship, the more honest you can be. 

Seriously.

I want my close friends to call me out on bad moods, bad dating decisions and just anything they deem necessary.  My friends are all smart people (especially socially, I mean, obviously, since they've chosen me as a friend), so I trust their judgement when it comes to my behavior. 

There is nothing worse than a friend who is dating a complete douchebag and can't see it. I have already told a few of my most trusted friends that if they have doubts about someone I'm seeing, I want them to pull me aside and share their opinion.  If I don't listen, and the red flags are still waving, they need to just slap me or tie me down and make me watch "Brokedown Palace" or "Beaches" with them.  (Major friendship movies.)

Despite my appreciation for honesty, there are certain things friends can say that don't feel so good or very helpful.


"Are you sure you need another piece of pizza?" 
    -- Um. I definitely don't need it, but I want it, bish.


"You're just not the kind of girl guys want to date. You're the kind they want to marry.  But don't ask me how you get to marry them if they won't date you." 
    --  Thanks a lot.


"You're the only virgin I know."
    -- Fantastic.  Would you like to put me on display in some museum?


"Have you ever thought of just accepting that you might never get married?" 
   -- Sure, I have, but I try not to dwell on that.  Thanks for bringing it up.


"I don't like going out with you because it's harder to pick up guys when you're around."
   -- I'm sure you meant this in the sense that I'm not into picking up guys at a bar, but that's not how I heard it.  Or maybe you are just unfamiliar with my awesome wingwoman abilities.  No, really.  I'm good.  I helped some randoms at Hotel Carolina, so I'll definitely help my friends. 


I'm sure if I sat here long enough, I could come up with some other examples, but it's late, and I don't want to dream about my friends insulting me.  So, I'll leave it at that.  Feel free to share your brutal honesty stories though -- the good, the bad and the oh-my-gosh-I'm-going-to-punch-you.  Bring it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I can't believe some of those comments. I agree with everything you said. Def a difference between honesty & brutal honesty. I try to save the brutal for strangers. :) And any wingwoman assistance you can give me at HC would be appreciated. :) Steer me away from the taken musicians please. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover