Image Map

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Friday Fiver - My Can't Miss Reality TV Shows

I am admittedly a reality TV junkie. Like many others, "The Real World" was my first introduction to this genre.  Even though I know it's edited and cast to fit stereotypes, I think reality TV is a very interesting study on our society as a whole.  I am smart enough to know the people on this show don't fully represent us, but they are out there.  I watch a ton of reality shows from "Survivor" to "Toddlers and Tiaras," but below are my five favorites. 

1.  "Big Brother"



This one absolutely gets top billing. It's my summer indulgence, and I look forward to it when the weather turns warmer.  I love all the drama, backstabbing and scheming.  I'm still waiting for more of that in the latest season. James Rhine might be my favorite player of all time, which is why I chose this photo of the Big Brother All-Stars cast.


2.  "The Biggest Loser"



I only got into this one a few seasons ago, but I love it.  It makes me cry, and it motivates me...all at the same time.  I love watching these people take steps to change their lives.  Jillian and Bob are a real force to be reckoned with.  I would hide if either of them came to kick my butt. Mike (in the brown) is my favorite contestant so far.


3.  "The Bachelor/Bachelorette"



As someone who doesn't date a lot, this show helps me not feel so bad about that.  There are some real duds out there, and this show sure finds them.  I'll never get over the guy with the creepy foot fetish from a few seasons ago.  Of course, a few good things have come from this show.  The first bachelorette, Trista, married her choice, Ryan Sutter, and they are still happily married with a few kiddos.  Second, it brought Travis Stork to my TV.  I still drool over him every day on "The Doctors."


4.  "Dating in the Dark"



I am so excited this show is returning in August.  Much like "The Bachelor/Bachelorette," it offers a glimpse into our dating behaviors, with a twist --- the contestants don't actually get to see each other until the very end, after they've decided if there's a connection or not.  It's really interesting and sometimes eye-opening.


5.  "The Real Housewives of Atlanta"



I fell into this addiction last year during Hotel Carolina.  Between music fixes, my roommate and I vegged out in our hotel room, and there was a marathon of this show on.  It's ridiculous and awesome all at once.  I think Kim is a mess, but I love NeNe. I can't wait for the new season to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover