Image Map

Friday, November 26, 2010

30 Days of Truth -- Day 15: Without You

Day 15 -- Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it.


I thought long and hard about this one all day today. 
 
While I was driving between interviews. 
While I was writing up stories. 
While I was getting Monday's CHAT sheet ready. 
While I was putting up Christmas decorations in my office. 
 
Through all of that, I thought about today's topic. And I really only came up with one thing, which has already been mentioned on this 30 Days of Truth journey. 
 
My family.
 
After college, I wanted a new adventure.  I took a job in Texas, thinking I would love living somewhere new and be content with occasional visits back to Iowa. 
 
I was only half-wrong. 
 
I did love living somewhere new.  I learned so much about myself and some of my friendships during my four-year stay in the Lone Star State.  I wouldn't change any of that. 
 
I didn't love only seeing my family once a year.  In newspapers, there are no real "slow" times to take vacations.  I knew it would be ridiculous to expect to have every Christmas off, so during my four years in Texas, I only saw my family for one Christmas -- the last one. It was during that last one that I realized I needed to change.  I had some great "adoptive" families keep me company during my holidays in Texas, but nothing can replace family.
 
Within six months of that last winter in Texas (due to a combination of events), I was back in Iowa.  I wouldn't change that either. 
 
I love going to Iowa State football games with my parents in the fall.  I love hanging out at my brother's bar for an evening (it's the greatest one in Ames) and then being able to come home. I love being able to go spend an evening with my parents and brother on a moment's notice. Most of all, I love that I haven't missed a holiday since returning to Iowa.  And I don't plan to anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover