Image Map

Sunday, December 5, 2010

30 Days of Truth -- Day 24: Songs for Somebody

Day 24 → Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you chose all the songs.



I have been thinking about today's entry for more than a week now. I love making playlists (I have several in my itunes), and I actually make a CD each month of songs I'm obsessed with at the moment. They serve as a neat "time capsule" of sorts, and they're fun to go back and listen to months and years later.
 
I thought about the different people I could make a playlist for. I thought about doing one for someone in my family or a close friend or even someone who broke my heart.  Those were all very tempting.  And the last one would have been easy, since I definitely have one of those playlists already made.  Instead, I've decided to devote this entry to someone I don't even know yet -- the guy who wins my heart (and actually wants it).  After each song, I'll write a little bit about why I chose it and include lyrics that really helped it make the list.
 
Songs for Somebody
 
1. "Haven't Met You Yet" - Michael Buble
I think this is an obvious choice.  I love it, mostly because it absolutely speaks to me.  It captures all of my feelings and thoughts about past failures in love.  
 
"I'm not surprised. Not everything lasts. I've broken my heart so many times I stopped keeping track. Talk myself in, I talk myself out. I get all worked up, then I let myself down. I tried so very hard not to lose it. I came up with a million excused. I thought I'd thought of every possibility. And I know someday that it'll all turn out. You'll make me work so we can work to work it out. And I promise you, kid, that I'll give so much more than I get. I just haven't met you yet..."
 
2. "You Get Me" - Michelle Branch I'll say it right now -- I'm a little different.  I'm quirky.  I might just post the whole song below because the lyrics absolutely describe me.

"So I'm a little left of center, I'm a little out of tune. Some say I'm paranormal, so I just bend their spoon. Who wants to be ordinary in a crazy, mixed up world. I don't care what they're saying, as long as I'm your girl. Hey, you were one my side. And they, they just roll their eyes. You get me. When nobody understands, you come and take a chance. Baby, you get me. You look inside my wild mind, never knowing what you'll find. Still you want me all the time, yeah you do, yeah you get me."
 
3.  "Most of Me" - Mandy Moore
I've been jaded and hurt along the way. I have no doubt there will be more heartbreak before I meet him.  By the time he gets me, I may not be the person I am now.  But he'll get "most of me," the parts that haven't broken off and fallen away.  And he should feel lucky that I think enough of him to take a chance on the potential heartbreak he could cause.
 
"You should know my story by now and why I'm optimistic cautiously. I understand it's not your fault. And I'm not taking anything back. You still end up with, oh, most of me.  I won't hold anything back. And I won't hold anything in. Feel like I know where this is going, and I might know how it ends. But I'm still willing to begin."
 
4. "Tell Her About It" - Billy Joel
I'm not a mind reader. I know a lot of guys aren't comfortable expressing their feelings.  And they feel like you should just know they like you.  Well, sometimes we don't.  You have to tell us. (Also, I just really love Billy Joel.)
 
"Listen boy, it's not automatically a certain guarantee. To insure yourself, you've got to provide communication constantly. When you love someone, you're always insecure. And there's only one good way to reassure. Tell her about it, let her know how much you care. When she can't be with you, tell her you wish she were there. Tell her about it, everyday before you leave. Pay her some attention, give her something to believe."
 
5. "The Little Things" - Bryan White
Ah, my first love in country music.  This song is beautiful, and I thought it was a perfect follow-up to the Billy Joel track.  I don't need grand gestures or big gifts.  The little things make a world of difference.
 
"A yellow Post-It note on my steering wheel. A penciled hard reminder of the way you feel. Just a passing thought, but it made me see, it's the little things that mean the world to me."
 
6. "Until You" - Dave Barnes
Another glimpse of my hopeless feelings.  I really want to believe he's out there, but sometimes, I just don't know. 
 
"The city settles down. I watch you as you sleep. There's a silent celebration for every breath you breathe. And now this all makes sense, with you as company. I left all I knew and found a better part of me. I need you, now and forever, to stay right here with me. Don't ever leave. Love was kept from me like a secret. And I swore that I was through. Until you."
 
7.  "That's When I Love You" - Aslyn
Basically, this goes hand in hand with song number two.  I know I'm not perfect, and I know he won't be either.  But quirks are not a bad thing.  In fact, sometimes they're rather endearing.  And as soon as they are endearing, that's when you know you're in love.
 
"And when you turn to hide your eyes cause the movie, it made you cry, that's when I love you, I love you a little more each time. And when you can't quite match your clothes, or when you laugh at your own jokes, that's when I love you, more than you know ... Cause here's my promise made tonight, you can count on me for life, cause that's when I love you, when nothing you do could change my mind. The more I learn, the more I love, the more my heart can't get enough. That's when I love you, when I love you no matter what."
 
8.  "Easy to Breathe" - JT Spangler
Basically, this song is about someone who just knows what the other person needs and how to provide it at the right time.  Again, I want this. Does it exist?
 
"When the world gets too heavy, and the waves are crashing down, you don't try to save me, you know to be around. And you, oh you, you know what I need. You're everything to me. You make it easy to breathe. Easy to breathe. When life gets difficult, and I don't know where to go. Baby, I just look at you and then I know."
 
9. "Meant to Be" - Melissa Polinar
Okay, so this song doesn't seem real to me. I just can't imagine anyone feeling this way. But someone must have to write this song. So, now I'm looking for it.

"You are the one for me. After all the waiting, I can finally breathe. Earth and sky say what they may, I will love you all throughout my days. Happiness happens when our hearts combine. When it's you I'm with, I come alive. It's just so plain to see, darlin' we are meant to be ... I feel at home whenever you're around. I feel so secure, so safe and sound..."
 
10.  "First and Last" - Alexa Wilkinson
This is absolutely appropriate for my future spouse on a number of levels.  I won't get into them here.  Those who know me well will already know them. The lyrics I chose for this one describe how I will feel about this person.  Should feel about this person.
 
"You are my friend, dear love. My cover, my strength and I look up above and smile that the uncertainty of knowing one will hit the rocks on the way. But I'll never have to pretend that I want to stay right here with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover