Image Map

Saturday, December 4, 2010

30 Days of Truth -- Day 23: I wish...

Day 23 -- Something you wish you had done in your life.


I try really hard not to live my life with regrets.  I'm a natural worrier, though, so it's often hard for me to be brave and spontaneous. 
 
Sure, when I was in high school, I asked a boy to the homecoming dance. I knew he was shy and would probably say "no," but I did it anyway. He nearly jumped out of a moving car when I did it, but I convinced him to stay put. I did not convince him to accompany me to the dance, unfortunately, but he was very kind in his rejection.  Well, as kind as anyone was to me back then.
 
Sure, I moved to Texas all by myself after college.  Literally.  I packed up my car with everything that would fit (and had the rest shipped) and drove.  I moved into an apartment I hadn't even seen (not even in pictures) in a town I'd only visited once (for a job interview).  There were some rough times in that transition, but it all ended up working out ok.
 
Sure, I embarked on a memorable 20-hour round-trip road trip to see John Mayer with a group of girls I'd met on the internet and known for less than a year. This trip was planned less than two weeks before the show, and right after I'd finished a three-show Mayer tour within the state of Texas. Money was tight, and this trip made it tighter, but I honestly didn't care then and I still don't.
 
But I don't view these as particularly brave or spontaneous actions.  You can bet there was plenty of pre-calculating each of these things before I actually did them.  I'm just not spur-of-the-moment, no-holds-barred girl. But sometimes, I really wish I was.  There's that saying -- "When I look back on my life, I'd rather regret the things I did than the things I didn't do." I try to remember this when I'm making (major and minor) decisions.
 
I wish I had found a way to go with my suitemates when they visited and toured Europe back when we were in college. To this day, I've still never traveled anywhere that I needed a passport for, and it doesn't look like I will get to do that anytime in the near future either.  It would have been amazing and wonderful to see sites I still have on my list with some of my closest and dearest friends.  I didn't go with them back then because I didn't have the money, but I wish I'd found it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover