Image Map

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ten Lessons in 2010: One

I haven't been in school for a very long time (or at least it feels very long), but the old adage is true -- you never stop learning. The only difference is that, as an adult, your lessons are more of the life sort than the book sort.  They're much harder lessons to learn, and the application of them is more difficult than any test I remember from school. Except for Mr. Haupt's tests.  Those were definitely not easy. 

Lately, my best friend and "sister" Bruna has been changing her facebook status to something she learned in the last year. I thought that would be a great meme for me to close out this year with.  So, here we go.

LESSON ONE: Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

For the past few years, my job required me to work every Sunday.  Sure, the CHAT sheet only took an hour or so, but the fact remained that I had to go in to the office -- unless other arrangements were made (in the case of solid plans), which wasn't option. 

Late in 2009, I finally went to my boss and said I was getting a little burned out and wondered if she would split the CHAT sheet duties with me.  I suggested we alternate months, and, to my surprise, she agreed.  Anyone who knows my employer will agree she's not the most intimidating figure, but I still didn't expect the conversation to be that easy. 

So, in 2010, I had six months of free Sundays. It was wonderful.  Sure, I'd love to have two-day weekends someday, but apparently that's not in my cards just yet.  So I'll enjoy the one day of freedom I get every now and then.  And I'll try not to be afraid to ask for help in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover