Image Map

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New things in a new year

I stopped doing the New Year's resolution thing a few years ago.  I rarely (read: never) followed through, and then I'd just get mad at myself when I got to the end of the year and hadn't lost the weight, stopped drinking pop or been nice to everyone.  And who needs guilt on top of all that.

Now, each year I decide I'm going to try something new in the year ahead.  In 2010, I tried sushi (loved it!) and running (loved it!).  Sure, those aren't crazy new things, but they were new to me.  It's all about stepping out of your comfort zone.

I did a lot of thinking yesterday about what I want to try new in 2011.  I came up with three things:

1. Sing karaoke with the Brice girls
Everytime I go somewhere with them for karaoke, they ask me to join in.  I have declined everytime so far. Yet I've sung karoke with other friends. So it's not really karaoke that intimidates me, it's that Julie and Kathleen are such good singers, I'm afraid of how awful I sound.  But it's time for me to realize that they are not the kind of friends who will judge me.  I've known them for 12 years and they haven't yet.  I just need to do it.  They'll probably never ask me again after I do. Ha ha.

2. Yoga
A lot of my friends do this and really seem to enjoy it. I think it'd be a great thing for fitness and relaxation. I even have a DVD on yoga, but I have yet to put it in the player. It's time to try it.

3.  Buy a drink for a cute guy
You don't know how many times I've been out, seen a guy I was interested in and had no idea how to approach him.  Alright, so most of the time, this is at my brother's bar, so the awkward quotient is raised.  But still.  I'm 30.  And I'm assertive in so many other areas of my life. I need to expand it to my love life.  It may lead to nothing, but at least I will have done it.


Fear not, random readers, I will let you know when I do/try each of these things.  Your job is to hold me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover