Image Map

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Re-thinking Valentine's Day

I hate Valentine's Day.

Anyone who knows me knows this. 

In my opinion, it's just a fabricated holiday to make people in couples feel superior to singles. I've been single for all but about six months out of my entire life. I actually don't mind being solo either.  There are a lot of benefits (in my mind, wayyyy more benefits than coupledom).  But for years, Feb. 14 would bash into my otherwise content singledom and make me doubt my worth all over again.

I finally started ignoring the date a few years ago, instead recognizing just one holiday in February -- Pitchers & Catcher's Report Day. Sometimes, this has occurred on Feb. 14.  For some teams, that's how it works this year.  My Rangers hurlers and backstops won't officially check in at the Surprise Training Facility in Arizona until two days later though.  I can still celebrate the return of baseball on Feb. 14 (because any baseball is good baseball), and I likely will.

Chelsea Talks Smack wants more than that from me though. She wants me to also celebrate my awesome self and the glory of being single. 

Sounds awesome (and I love all of her ideas), but I'm hesitant to take her challenge. I've been rejecting Valentine's Day for so long, it feels unnatural to give in to the false affection. I don't know if I'm comfortable changing my opinion of the day. 

On the other hand, maybe it's time for me to let go of my notions surrounding the day and join Chelsea's revolution to look at it a whole new way. 

So, I'm in Chels.

Now, I just have to figure out how I'm going to spend that day.  Fortunately, I won't be working that day.  I'll be between jobs, and I will just be getting settled in my new (albeit temporary) digs.  The town won't be completely new to me, but it's not as familiar as where I am now.  That's not a bad thing though.  I'm going to start thinking of ways to treat myself that day, and I'm definitely open to suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the PERFECT time for you to spend some time all on yourself...eh? What's something you've REALLY WANTED TO DO....? Something you think, "HM, maybe one day i'll (fill in the blank)..." go on, get crazy, write a love letter to yourself, bake yourself a cake, try something new ;) Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover