Image Map

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day on the solo and cheap

As I mentioned in previous posts, I decided to try a fresh outlook on Feb. 14 this year. In the past, I've been known to wear all black, refer to it as Singles Awareness Day or Crappy Pink Day and generally grumble all day.  What did that really accomplish?  Nothing.  Well, that's not true.  It would put me in a bad mood all day, and there's really no sense in that.  No time for it either.  So, I decided to try something new this year, at the insistence of Chelsea Talks Smack.

I wish I knew when Valentine's Day became such an dreaded day. When I was elementary school, Valentine's Day was awesome.  Why?  Because it was for everyone.  I remember writing out valentines for every one of my classmates.  Even the kid who kicked the back of my chair everyday.  As I grew older, Valentine's Day shifted.  It became less about inclusion and felt more like a day of exclusion --- sure, I got cards, candy and flowers from family and friends, but it seemed like the "big deal" valentines were reserved for girls who had a boy in their life.  I have never been one of those girls.  Thus, I grew bitter.

I'm ready to drop that emotion now.

So what if I've never had a significant other on this Hallmark holiday?  That doesn't mean I'm not loved.  In fact, I've learned recently that I'm more loved than I sometimes realize or appreciate. 

I knew I'd be spending Valentine's Day alone this year. I moved over the weekend and fully expected Monday to be a day of unpacking, organizing and taking care of new business.  I knew I wanted to find time to treat myself as well.  Here's a little summary of my day:

9:23 a.m. -- Wakeup. Without an alarm.  This is the true definition of sleeping in for me, and it's been a long time since I've gotten to do this.  Fortunately, since I finished my former job last week and don't start my new job until next week, I had the luxury of turning of the alarm today, so I did.  It was glorious.

9:45 a.m. -- Coffee, toast and blog-reading.  It was very chill and relaxed.  Perfect start to my morning.

10 a.m. --  Walk across campus to visit old friends in my new place and pay rent. Take care of more housing business upon return home.

11 a.m. -- Bake cookies and cream cupcakes.  I've been wanting to make these cupcakes for months.  I finally found a recipe I liked and went for it.  They turned out beautiful and delicious. 



12:33 p.m. -- Light lunch.  It was nothing fancy -- a ham sandwich and some chips (as I mentioned, I'm still getting settled) -- but it was still nice.

1:03 p.m. -- Watch "In A Day."  A friend recommended this quirky yet adorable movie.  It was perfect.  I loved it.

3 p.m. -- Listen to sweet songs and read a romance novel.  Totally relaxing.


3:45 p.m -- Walk across campus to share cupcakes with my new coworkers.  I don't officially clock in until next week, but this was a nice way to meet everyone (again...I met them all at the interview too) and share the baked goods (I could eat them all, but I don't think that's a good idea).

4:30ish p.m. -- Return home for more reading and music.

7:15 p.m. -- Dinner and a movie. Lasagna, garlic bread and a glass of Bed Head Red (from Jasper Winery).  Again, it's simple, but it was delicious.  (And I will probably finish that bottle of wine before Friday gets here.) My evening movie selection was "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend."  It was really cute, and I loved the ending.  I won't give it away though.



Obviously, I didn't do anything extravagant. I couldn't.  Moving costs money.  But that's ok.  I don't need anything fancy.  It was a very relaxed and blissful day.  I couldn't have asked for anything more.

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover