Image Map

Thursday, February 17, 2011

See you later, see you soon

((This appeared in the Feb. 11, 2011 edition of the Perry Chief. It was my last one as managing editor. I'm posting it here for others to enjoy.))

Goodbyes are awful. I don’t like them. I’ve never been good at them, and I try to avoid them when I can.

I have been a part of 242 issues of the Perry Chief. My byline will remain in the archives for years to come, but I assure you Perry has left a much larger mark on me.

In the spring of 2006, I was living in Ennis, Texas, and longing to find my way back to my family and friends in Iowa. A small, family-owned weekly in Perry made that possible. I can’t thank Lori enough for taking a chance on a girl she knew only from a resume and voice on the phone.

So I moved to Perry that June. I’ve lived in this town longer than either of my previous professional stops. You should be proud, Perry - this is the only community in which I haven’t been robbed. Thank you for that.

In addition to keeping me safe, Perry has also offered some unforgettable opportunities. I’ve interviewed Presidential hopefuls, countless couples who have been married 50-plus years, new teachers, longtime residents and numerous other fascinating people. I got to ride in a snowplow and attend a variety of banquets and celebrations free of cost. I’ve witnessed the closure and re-opening of the beautiful Hotel Pattee, the demolition of the old middle school and most of the construction on the new auditorium and DMACC Career Academy. I feel fortunate to have had the chance to witness Perry’s progress and tell the stories of the people who make it this community what it is.

In addition to all these professional opportunities, I have also formed some meaningful friendships. I don’t know who I’d be if I didn’t know some of these people. I hope to know them for a very long time. Thanks to Facebook, I think that’s a very real possibility. See, technology isn’t all bad.

I’m grateful to everyone who has made me feel welcomed and appreciated in this community. Your gestures will not soon be forgotten.

Clearly, this isn’t “goodbye.”

I know I’ll be back. I love this town, and can’t wait to make a return visit to watch Perry’s potential become a reality.

So I’m choosing an alternative to “goodbye.” A phrase that’s not quite so sad or final. Since I never turn down an opportunity to quote one of my favorite musicians, I’ll steal a few lines from Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers:

See you later, See you soon
Are the words I always say
See you later, See you soon
Maybe on some sunny day

Thanks for all the memories, Perry. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover