Image Map

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Keep your crown

We have military fighting wars and missing their families.
Tornadoes are destroying homes and businesses and killing people. 
But what's the top news?
The Royal Wedding.

Yes, it's an amazing, once-in-a-generation spectacle. 
Yes, I'm curious about the nature of monarchy. 
No, I do not need a countdown to the moment Prince William exchanges vows with Kate Middleton. 
No, I do not need a play-by-play of the wedding preparations. 
No, I am not envious of those attending the affair (and I think the people starving themselves in hopes of being invited are downright crazy). 
No, I do not think this is a fairytale or "every girl's dream."

I'll give you a moment to take in that last statement.  It's the one that seems to bother most. 

What's wrong with me?  Every girl longs to be a princess.

No.  No we don't.

I'm not saying that because I'm a bitter, unmarried thirtysomething, although apparently that's the natural assumption about me. I do fit two of those descriptors, but the first one does not apply.

It's ridiculous to assume every girl wants to be a princess and marry a prince.  I don't even believe every girl wants to get married, let alone marry into a royal family.  I'm still undecided about whether or not I want to enter marriage.  It sounds OK sometimes, but ultimately, I like being single.  Either way, you could not convince me to trade lives with Kate Middleton right now.  Now and for the rest of her life, everything she does, wears and says will be scrutinized.  That would drive me nuts. Who would want that?

Kate Middleton can have her diamond tiara.  I prefer my anonymity and my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover