Image Map

Thursday, June 23, 2011

RIP Andre

I lost a friend on Tuesday. He's been my closest companion for the better part of the last year.  Apparently, he drowned, and I had no idea he had even been in the water. 

I'm talking, of course, about my smartphone.  My Droid X, which I named Andre.  (Andre the Android, yes, I'm so creative.) I name a lot of inanimate objects -- my car is Ribbie (like RBI in baseball) and my ipod Nano is named Ruby (because she's red).  Hmm ... I just realized how close those two names are.  I guess I'm not as creative as I thought.

I've been having some issues with my phone for a few months, but I just figured I overused him.  Like I said, he was my closest companion.  He went everywhere with me.  Our last venture together was a run along the lake.  When I returned, I couldn't wake him up from what I thought was a regular nap.  Turns out, he had water damage.  It's probably had it for quite awhile, but like so many horrible diseases, I didn't catch it until it was too late.  The black screen of death took Andre before his time was up (I'm still about a year away from my next upgrade). We said goodbye today as I sent him off to his final resting place (or maybe the company will refurbish him and find him a new home).

At least I was smart enough to purchase insurance on Andre.  I have to pay a deductible, but it's a fraction of what it would cost to replace the device without it.

I actually had to go 24 hours without a phone.  And I don't have a landline.  Thank goodness for the internet.  But I still felt oddly disconnected from the world.  And my Word Feud game with Rochelle. 

So last night, I welcomed Nelly into my home and my life.  That name came easily as the first text message I received on my phone was an MLB notification that Nelson Cruz had hit a home run -- and a missile at that.  I'm sure we'll have some great times together, but I will not soon forget Andre. RIP, my old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover