Image Map

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Weekend in review: Living room concert edition

What an outstanding weekend.  Seriously.  It could not have been any better.

It kicked off Friday night with a little Cyclone football.  I went into the game with pretty low expectations -- I just wanted them to play well and not get blown out.  They gave me what I wanted ... and more.


OKLAHOMA STATE - 31
IOWA STATE - 37
FINAL (2 OT)

Unbelievable.  Absolutely unbelievable.  Not only did the Cyclones completely stun the nation by beating the #2 ranked team in the country, but the win also made them bowl eligible.  Yes!!  It definitely set the tone for what has been a fabulous weekend.

I spent much of Saturday cleaning and cooking in preparation for my guests, which included seven friends (from various stages of my life) and one musician.  Ernie Halter made his way through the icy roads to perform in my living room for two hours.  Of course, he did more than perform.  He hung out with us and chatted with us and shared some really fun stories.  This was the first living room concert I've hosted, but I don't think it'll be the last.  I loved every bit of it.



Thanks so much to Ernie for providing a few hours of quality entertainment and music.  Thanks also to Jamie, Ashley, Wes, Alicia, Hannah, Josh and Justin for the friendship and companionship.  I hope you had as much fun as I did.

After the concert, a few of us decided to check out a college haunt. It was crazy to walk into that bar, where I'd spent plenty of Friday and Saturday nights during my college years.  I wasn't there as often as others, but enough for it to be familiar.  Not much had changed either.  Not even the music.  I swear, while we were there, we heard "Tootsie Roll" and a few other songs that transported me back in time.  Fortunately, I was mindful enough to remember that most of the people around me were about ten years my junior.  Ugh.  Not interested in a boy at this point in my life. I want a man.  Ha ha.

Today, Alicia, Jamie and I got lunch and then Jamie and I caught a matinee of "Breaking Dawn Part 1."  I know what you're thinking.  I agree the books and the movies are far from brilliant.  But, for me, they're a nice escape.  That's all I'm really looking for.  This is the only movie in the "Twilight" series I have not seen in a midnight showing.  After last week's travel, I just didn't have the energy to do midnight showing this week.  Maybe I'll go back out for part two.  Oh, and by the way, forget Edward and Jacob, I'm totally Team Emmett. 

Now it's time to relax a little.  I still need to do some cleaning up from the party, but that's going to wait until after I get in some quality NaNoWriMo and DVR time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi.Check out the brand new musical social network I've just launched, dedicated to house concerts:http://slowbizz.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover