Image Map

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Waking up, literally and figuratively

I've been going through some rough times lately.  Facebook friends and twitter followers have probably noticed this.  I was unsuccessfully trying to block out negative words and thoughts by clinging to positive quotes I found on Pinterest (and sharing them). 

But then ... today, I woke up today with a whole new perspective on things.

People can judge me all they want, 
but I'm not going to let them define me.

Maybe it was quality time with a good friend.
Maybe it was a good night's sleep (99 percent sleep efficiency, according to my fitbit).
Maybe it's a symptom of being older.

Whatever it is, I'll take it.  And I'll take the new perspective.

So what if some guy thinks I'm "not a hot girl"? 
There's probably someone who does.

So what if someone thinks I'm "chunky"? 
There's probably someone else who thinks I'm pretty fit.

So what if people think I'm "not normal" because of some of my life decisions?
Someone else might think those decisions make me unique and special.

So what if someone doesn't like me? 
There are definitely plenty of people who do.

Even though it's in my nature to want to be liked by everyone, at some point, I have to realize that's just not realistic.  No matter how nice, kind, thoughtful, fun or generous I am, there will always be someone who doesn't like me.  Not an easy lesson, but that's the way life goes sometimes. 

The key is remembering that for every hater I have, I also have at least two fans.  And last I checked, 2-1 was a winning score (and a pitcher's duel at that ... ha ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover