Image Map

Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Club Friday


I set a goal to read 30 books this year.  I figured that would be easy.  It's less than three books a month, and I'm a fast reader, so three books a month should be doable.  So far, I've read 14.  But I got a slow start on the year (because I spent the first five months WRITING instead of READING), so most of those 14 have been read in the last month or so.

I'm constantly adding to my to-read list on GoodReads, and I get most of my suggestions from friends and bloggers.  I thought it was time to return the favor and share what I've been reading.


 "Love ... From Both Sides" by Nick Spalding
I have not laughed at a book this hard in a long time. "Love ... From Both Sides" is described as a romantic comedy, and it is every bit of those two words. It tells the story of the relationship of Jamie and Laura in the form of blog and diary entries. Extremely honest entries. It's really unique to read about a relationship from a man's point of view. And I'm not talking about Nicholas Sparks. Nick Spalding may share the same first name, but his style is much more candid and comedic. Like I said, I laughed A LOT while I was reading this book. And I couldn't put it down. I read it in three hours. I cannot wait to read the sequel -- "Love And Sleepless Nights." 


This one isn't due out until July 24, but I won an advance copy of this book on GoodReads. I quickly finished the other book I was reading so I could get to this one.  I adore Emily Giffin's writing style, her characters and just the plots she creates.  This book is no exception.  I was drawn in from the beginning, intrigued by Marian and how she would handle the "secret" that had surfaced.  I was also anxious to see how Kirby would navigate the new discoveries and changes in her life.  It's an honest and heart-warming story.  And I may have gotten teary-eyed.  More than once.  But I'm a sap, so take that as you will.

It was really hard for me to finish this book.  I spent the first half struggling to relate to the main female character, who finds herself single for the first time in 12 years.  Yep. See why I can't relate?  Rachel came off as whiny and mopey, and I just couldn't find sympathy for her (even though the guy ditched her in really crappy fashion).  I kept hoping she would evolve as the book went on, and she did.  I ended up adoring her and really admiring her.  Once she stopped whining and started living, I really liked her.  And her "to-do" list?  Pretty amazing.  I'm thinking I should make a similar list even though I've only ever been single and feel like I've nailed it.  We can all use some personal growth and fun adventures.

I saw this mentioned on another blog and was intrigued by the description: "Can the love of a lifetime be forever changed by one pink line? Dina Silver’s tender, absorbing novel, One Pink Line, is the warmhearted, wry story of love, loss and family, as seen through the prism of one singular, spirited young couple who find themselves in a predicament that changes the course of their lives, and those closest to them." Once I started reading, I could not put it down.  Could not.  I read it during a lunch hour and stayed up a little bit later than I should have, finishing it less then 12 hours after I started it.  Oh, and I bawled most of the way through this one too.


This was a great collection of the author's lessons in love. She was honest and candid. I found myself identifying with many of her dilemmas, emotions and thoughts. It was an easy read, and one I will probably re-read in the near future.


What are you reading?

5 comments:

  1. Nice list! You read that book in 3 hours? That's a pretty good recommendation! I'll definitely have to check some of these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I've been dying to pick up some good summer reads and I think there are a few of these I'm going to need to check out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read Where We Belong! I've loved all of Emily Giffin's books lately so I have no doubt that I'll love this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading some erotica by Anais Nin (accidentally downloaded ...so I figured, whatever I'll read it). It's super disturbing. Who knew people were so dirty back in the 1940's?!

    Shade of Grey looks like a day in the sandbox.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover