Image Map

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Letter to Santa

I know, I know.  I'm 32.  I should know by now that Santa doesn't exist.  Trust me, I'm aware of this.  But maybe he is real.  I'm not taking any chances. I need to make sure the big man in the red suit knows what's on my wishlist this year.

\\\\////

Dear Santa,

We're about a week away from your busiest workday of the year.  Oh, who are we kidding?  It's the only day of the year you work.  That's a pretty sweet gig you have.  I don't imagine it pays much, but working really hard for one day and resting the other 364 doesn't sound too bad to me. How are the benefits?  Any chance you're up for retiring soon?  I might be interested ... nevermind.  I don't want to move to the North Pole.  I mean, I'd probably fit right in.  Some of the elves are probably taller than I am. But I have a feeling my dating prospects won't be any better up there than they are here in Iowa.

I know you don't have a lot of time, so I'll try to keep this short.  But I'm a writer, so your version of short and mine might be very different. You have a lot of letters to go through, and this one is from a thirty-something single girl.  Not exactly high on your priority list.  If you would rather focus on the younger kiddos out there, that's fine.  I don't blame you.  My friends have some really cute munchkins.  I'd rather spoil them too.

But, I have a few things to say, so let's get down to business.

I've definitely had an interesting year. It's been full of ups and downs, but I think I was a pretty good girl.  I didn't fight with my brother, and I was respectful to my parents.  Truth be told, I've never appreciated my family more than I do now.  It's funny how your perception of family changes as you get older.  I don't know what I'd do without mine, and I don't just mean my blood relatives. I have plenty of non-blood family too, and they've all been amazing.  Moving on ... I donated to friends in need and even a few strangers.  I lost a lot of the weight my doctor keeps bugging me about. I still have a little ways to go, and I promise I'll get there by Opening Day (my other favorite holiday).  I didn't always keep my room clean, but it was clean more often than not.  Does that count?

On the bad side, I did make a few mistakes.  I indulged in plenty of adult beverages.  I don't think I did anything too terrible while under the influence though.  I didn't drive, and I was careful about what I said to who.  I think my biggest mistakes happened with people.  I trusted a few people I shouldn't have, and I got mad at them when they let me down.  I did overreact, but I was hurt, and that's what I do when I hurt.  I realize I'm better off without them in my life now anyway.  So, maybe I needed the major letdown. I also fell for a guy I probably shouldn't have. He lives in another time zone, so I know nothing will come of it, but I can't help it. I really wish I could make my heart less susceptible to crushes, but when a guy is this thoughtful and tells you you're "beautiful in every way," it's not so easy to pull away.  Then again, maybe you wouldn't know what that feels like.  You probably actually wouldn't like it if a guy told you that you were beautiful.  But anyway.  Yes, I made a few bad decisions when it came to relationships and people, but I think I've already paid for those bad decisions.  I hope you agree.

If you feel like I've behaved in 2012, I hope you'll fulfill my wishlist. 

-
- "The Dark Knight Rises" and "The Hunger Games" on DVD.  
-  This awesome baseball mirror I saw at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago.
- A Garmin Forerunner GPS-enabled watch.  I don't even care which model.
- Headphones that I can wear while running so they won't keep falling off.
- A nice set of measuring cups and spoons.
- A griddle (maybe even a multi-functional one so I can get rid of  my hard-to-clean Foreman Grill).

Really, those first two things (written in invisible ink that only Santa can read) are the most important.  I could do without anything and everything else if I can have those two things.  Please and thanks.

Take care and drive safely, Santa!

Love,
 Micah

\\\\////

What would you say to Santa?  
Link me to it if you've posted your own letter or a kid's letter to Santa on your blog.

1 comment:

  1. No letter, but I did do a Christmas Wish List:

    http://jaclynnejacijax.com/2012/12/16/my-grown-up-christmas-list/

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover