Image Map

Friday, April 25, 2014

Morning glory ... or something

[source]
As you might recall, last Friday I announced I was going to start a morning workout routine.  And I decided to start it this week.

Now, I knew full well that I was going to be busy every evening.  And I knew I likely wouldn't be home "early" on any of those evenings.  As it turns out, last night is the only night I was home before 10 p.m.  That, my friends, is late to me. Especially when I've been getting up at 5 a.m. for workouts. OK, so it's actually more like 5:15 or 5:20, but it's still in the five o'clock hour, so it still counts, right?  Right.

This week has been so crazy.  All my plans have been fun ones, but those outings plus the morning workouts have made for some very long days.  I'm basically only home to sleep and shower.  This is not typical for me.  I am a major homebody.  I enjoy my time at home.  And I've had a lot of time to learn to enjoy that as I spent most of my 20s just working and then spending time at home since most of my friends lived too far away to hang out with.  This week has been very unusual for me in terms of social plans.
[source]

At first I thought maybe I picked the worst week to start morning workouts, but after some thought (on the treadmill, of course), I decided I may have picked the best week to try this crazy new routine.  Despite my busy schedule, I've managed to get up for my workouts every day this week, including today. (Side note: I totally planned to take this morning off but then one of my favorite fitness instructors mentioned she was subbing for a class I've been wanting to try this morning, so I decided to go.)

If I can get up at 5 a.m. during a busy week, I should be able to do it during weeks when I'm not as busy, right?

I'm sure hoping so.  Because life will slow down a little after this week, but I actually really like the morning workouts.  I feel like I've been more focused during the early part of my workday, and I like knowing that when I leave the office, I'm basically done for the day.  The gym isn't waiting for me.

I do miss my classes, and I haven't yet decided how I'll balance my new appreciation for morning workouts and my love for group fitness.  I suppose there will be some days I work out twice a day.  That's not a bad thing, right?

Here are a few things I've learned from my week of morning workouts:

-  Sleeping in your workout clothes is a complete motivator and time-saver.  When my alarm goes off, I just have to roll out of bed (after a few snooze hits), put on my socks and shoes, pull my hair back, brush my teeth, and get out the door.

- Parking and machines are much more available at 5:30 a.m.

- I need to eat a little something before my workouts. I tried to do without one day and I was so lightheaded, I thought I might faint. I don't eat much -- usually just a banana with peanut butter or a Larabar.

- Water, water, water.  I'm so thirsty in the mornings.  I need to make sure I always have water with me for these workouts.

- Morning workouts give me more time to get ready and have a good breakfast at home before work.  Who knew?!?

Are you a morning exerciser or an evening exerciser?

+++++

Last week's workouts
Friday: Off.
Saturday: Off.
Sunday: Off.
Monday: Walk/jog on treadmill (30 mins.) + exercises in Monday workout pin (10 mins.)
Tuesday: Walk/jog on treadmill (30 mins.) + exercises in Tuesday workout pin (10 mins.)
Wednesday: Exercise bike (30 mins.) + exercises in Wednesday workout pin (10 mins.)
Thursday: Walk/jog on treadmill (40 mins.)


+++++

[source]
 Total as of 4/18
689 minutes

+++++



3 comments:

  1. I love it when I'm in my groove with early morning workouts. It's such an awesome feeling to be done by 7am! I need to get back on track with it...but I've been so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to get back in the morning workout groove. I just don't have time to do it after work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think starting on a busy week was a great idea and a big challenge! If you got through it, you can keep going :) And yes, definitely eat something, even a little bite of a snack bar or banana--I was going on an empty stomach for months and it never bodes well. I've slept in my workout shirt but not pants before--usually I'll change into those when I wake up. But it really does make it easier! And yes, it really does give you more time to get ready and eat in the mornings...I think we're just more motivated after we work out!!

    Hope you can keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover