Image Map

Monday, May 25, 2015

Music Monday: Babyface - "The Soldier Song"

Every year, as the end of May approaches, I see people post about Memorial Day, expressing their joy for a three-day weekend and the unofficial start of summer.  Then there are others who post their thanks to all military service professionals, even though the day is really meant for those who gave their lives in the line of duty.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of those things.  I'm not here to shame anyone for how they commemorate Memorial Day.  There's no point to it. And honestly, I feel like the men and women who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice would want us to be joyful about life and time with friends and family.  I also don't think any day is a bad day to thank those who have served this country.

So whether you head to a Memorial Day service to salute the fallen in your community, hit up the lake with the crew, or find a seat in a ballpark (which is what I'll be doing), don't be ashamed. You're doing Memorial Day your way.

All that said.  As I was searching for a song to post today, this one really struck me.




In my past life as a newspaper editor, I helped cover the passing and funeral of a young man who died in service of our country, Lance Cpl. Joshua Davis.  He was only 19. You can read more about his character and the way he went out here. We passed the fifth anniversary of his death a few weeks ago, and I can't believe it's been that long.  His story has continued to stay with me, and I think of him often this time of year.  I also plan to find a way to honor him when I do the Remembrance Run in September.


1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover