Image Map

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Reading Recap - May


At the beginning of the year, I set a goal of reading 70 books.  Within that total, I wanted to expand my reading horizons a little by including one memoir/biography, one classic, and one blog reader recommendation each month.  I'm providing a round-up of these reads at the close of each month.

This month's selections ...


Memoir/Biography
Dad is Fat
by Jim Gaffigan
I listened to this at the start of the month, and it was so funny.  I laughed out loud several times.  I'll be picking up his other book in the near future.


Classic
I already knew the "secret" in this one after another book I read shared it.  But I still wanted to see how it all happened.  I can see why so many people love this novel.


Blog Reader Rec
This was recommended to me by Ari.  The story is told by a dog, which lends to an interesting perspective.  It's made me wonder if that's how dogs really think and try to communicate with us.  I listened to this during my commutes, and there were a few emotional moments I had to put off so I wouldn't walk into work looking teary-eyed.  But all in all, it was a really good book. I ended up giving it five stars on GoodReads, which I rarely do.


Bonus Reads
Morbid subject? Yes.  But also a pretty interesting one and important one to think about.  This book shares the history of anatomists and how they acquired bodies to study (it wasn't always through donation ... heh).   I also learned more about some of the medical and forensic discoveries that came from cadaver work and it definitely has me thinking about whether or not I would donate my body after death.

This is one of my all-time favorite books, and this month I read it for the fourth time.  It was my contribution to the Steins and Spines Book Club I'm part of with a few friends. I have read it probably five times, and I still love it every time.

I read this for an online book club. It was a little slow to start, but once it got rolling, it really kept my attention. I liked the strong female lead, Tracy, who is out to uncover the truth about her sister's murder.  It was suspenseful and I changed my mind quite a few times about who I thought did it or what happened.

I'm not quite finished with this one, but I think that'll happen today.  Kate Angell is one of my favorite authors. Her reads are light, humorous, and sweet.  I like her characters and her settings.  This particular one features a matchmaking Great Dane. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends up.

My reading progress to date:


What are you reading?


4 comments:

  1. I loved loved loved The Art of Racing in the rain even though it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read Jim Gaffigan's book. He cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently reading Game of Thrones and it is long. All the books are actually. I am going to need breaks between. Luckily all you awesome people I follow on Goodreads have me covered in reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jim Gaffigan! That book was hilarious! I didn't like the one about food as much, but he's still so funny. I've had The Art of Racing and Good In Bed on my list forever! Stiff looks like something I'd be into too.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover