Image Map

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Let's Talk About Beer: A summer treat



Summer means sweet treats and lighter beers.  I'm definitely guilty of that, as I'm mostly drinking pale ales and sours these days.  But that doesn't mean you have to take a break from the darker beers.
Behold ... the beer float!


I made one the other night with gold medal-winning Coco Stout by West O and locally-made ice cream.  Next time, I'll add some chocolate syrup, but it was delicious regardless.  Or maybe I could make it with chocolate ice cream?  Oooh.  So many tasty possibilities.

Unless you live in Iowa, you probably can't get Coco Stout (which is really too bad), but here are a few other dark beers that would likely make delicious floats:
- Guinness
I actually had a Guinness float at a local German restaurant. That's what turned me on to the idea of stout floats.

- Not Your Father's Root Beer

- Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

- Bell's Kalamazoo Stout 

- Boulder Chocolate Shake Porter 
This one tastes like a chocolate shake all on it's own. I can imagine how great it'd taste with some ice cream.

- Oskar Blues Death By Coconut

- DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus
I still haven't had this beer, but it promises chocolate and peanut butter, which is a winning combination for me every time.

The biggest tip I can give you is to put the beer in the glass first before adding the ice cream.  And enjoy it slowly so the ice cream has time to really mix in with the beer!

Let me know if you try this -- with one of the beers I suggest or one of you're own choosing.  I'd love to hear your feedback.


1 comment:

  1. Atwater Brewing makes a Vanilla Java Porter that I adore. I have a feeling it would be really good in a float.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover