Image Map

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Reading Recap - July

At the beginning of the year, I set a goal of reading 70 books.  Within that total, I wanted to expand my reading horizons a little by including one memoir/biography, one classic, and one blog reader recommendation each month.  I'm providing a round-up of these reads at the close of each month.

This month's selections ...


Memoir/Biography

by Alida Nugent
I've been following Alida's tumblr, The Frenemy, for quite a while. She's funny, smart, and honest. Those characteristics carried over into her book, naturally.  It's a little weird when twentysomethings write memoirs. I mean, are they even old enough to have enough to fill a book?  Not really, but Alida's book was a fun, light read, which was kind of necessary with my other two reads for the month.  Four of five stars.

Classic
by J.R.R. Tolkien
I think I might have enjoyed this more if I actually read it instead of listening to it. I didn't realize there would be so much singing/chanting, and the narrator's voice during these segments got kind of annoying.  I loved the writing though. It was a bit wordier than I typically enjoy, but I think it was necessary to really pull you into this other world.  I don't know that I'd need to read this again though. Three of five stars.

Blog Reader Rec

by Jeffrey Eugenides
One of my library co-workers told me this was one of her all-time favorite books, so I decided to pick it up.  I vaguely remember all the chatter about it when it first came up. I think it might have even been an Oprah Book Club selection. I can see why it garnered so much attention. It's a fascinating story and left me thinking about it for a long time after. Three of five stars.

Bonus Reads
by Kiera Cass

by Kiera Cass

I just have one book to finish to complete the Selection series, and I just picked it up a few days ago, so I'm sure I'll breeze through it this week. The characters take turns annoying me, but overall I've really enjoyed this series.

+++++

My reading challenge progress:




4 comments:

  1. I remember hating The Hobbit when I had to read it in 8th grade. When The Lord of the Rings movies started coming out, I was determined to read them, starting with rereading The Hobbit since that's where it all begins. I liked it better when I read it the second time. Truthfully, though, I never made it through the first book in The Lord of the a Rings series. I just couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middlesex was one of those books that clicked for many people but not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked The Hobbit, but I think the audiobook version would drive me crazy. There is just WAY too much singing in Tolkien's books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Middlesex now. For me, it's one of those books that I can't read too much of it in one sitting. But, it definitely makes me think.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover