Image Map

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

There is hope for the future

Last week, in my Stuff & Things post, I briefly wrote about a situation involving high schoolers that really upset me. To summarize, students from one school (DC-G) were chanting "Trump, Trump, Trump," and "U-S-A," and "Mini-Mexico" at opposing players (Perry) of Latino descent.  It was not the first time this had happened to Perry students, and apparently they'd had enough. One student wrote a letter to the local newspaper and some area TV media picked it up.

It struck home for me on a few different levels.  First of all, I lived in Perry for a handful of years and was the editor of their newspaper. That community was good to me and, to this day, I consider it to be sort of a second hometown.  Secondly, the head coach of those boys is an old friend of mine. I haven't talked to him in depth for years, but I know what coaching and his team mean to him.  Finally -- and most of all -- I am angered anytime people are mean to each other for no good reason.

Well, I'm pleased to offer an update on that story. A very inspiring one.

Last Thursday, this happened:


But there's more ...

That evening, DC-G students attended Perry's next basketball game and joined with Perry students to cheer them on.

The two schools have begun creating a program between the two student bodies so DC-G students can be exposed to more diversity.

This is an incredible turn around on what could have been a very sad story. The two schools could have continued with the bad blood and let things get really ugly.

But they didn't.

DC-G students admitted they were wrong in their actions. They had a mature, peaceful discussion with Perry students about the events. The two schools decided they could learn something from this event and from each other.  

Some adults -- especially our elected leaders -- could take some lessons from these young people.

P.S. Perry did win the above-mentioned game. And they won again last night -- in overtime -- to advance to the state tournament for the first time since 1988. I'm very excited for them!


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I love seeing outcomes like this. Thank you for sharing the follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great. I'm glad the adults in this situation ACTED like adults and brought everyone together rather than just patting their heads with a "now now" attitude or "kids will be kids."

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover