Image Map

Friday, April 22, 2016

80s/90s 5K Run recap

I know, I know. I was only going to do one race a month. But then I saw this one:



Seriously? Nostalgia and running. Two of my favorite things. Heck yes, I was doing this race.

The Facebook page promised costumes and fashion from the era, and I began debating what to wear. I rarely dress up fully for the theme of a race (I don't want to mess with my running too much), but I definitely wanted to fit in. I ended up buying a New Kids on the Block t-shirt with a design from their early days. I figured that'd cover the 80s AND the 90s.

When I arrived at the race grounds, I got to pick any year between 1980 and 1999 for my race "bib." Since it was a fun run without any timing, it was fine if multiple people had the same number. I ended up choosing my birth year because ... well, it was a pretty great year.

While I waited for the race to start, I enjoyed the C + C Music Factory, Will Smith, and Michael Jackson jams being pumped out of the sound system. There was also some pretty good people watching. Some people really went all out -- Miami Vice-esque outfits, guys in metal hair band wigs, and lots of side ponytails. There were even two girls in leotards in tights that they said they borrowed from their moms (and, no, they weren't comfortable for running).

Finally, it was time to run. Temperatures were in the mid-70s, which felt a little warm to me. I was glad I'd skipped the "Flashdance" sweatshirt and leg warmers as I trotted along the flat out and back course.

Even though the race wasn't timed, I wore my watch because I'm kind of obsessed with knowing my times. As usual, I like to set pre-race finish times so I can rate the race.

My finish time scale:
Good - 36:00 or above
Great - 34:01-35:59
Awesome - 34:00 or faster


(Un)official time:
33:11

Finally!!! An AWESOME finish. And I really didn't even see it coming. The weather was warmer than I would have liked, so I felt a little sluggish. The course was mostly flat, so that probably helped. I also wonder if the fact that I didn't have music in my ears made a difference.

+++++

Last week's workouts
Friday: Off
Saturday: 80s/90s 5K
Sunday: Off
Monday: Off
Tuesday: FitFusion
Wednesday: Yoga + a walk during lunch
Thursday: 2-mile run



2 comments:

  1. AH that is so awesome! Way to go girl...and at a fabulously themed race if I do say so myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun. We had a Fund Run at school the other day and music being pumped through speakers like that is highly motivating.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover