Image Map

Friday, July 8, 2016

5! on the 4th 5K recap

What's more American than running a 5K on Independence Day?

Well, probably lots of things -- drinking beer, eating lots of food, and watching fireworks. I did all of those things too. But I'm still pretty happy I got in a 5K the morning of our nation's holiday. 

I signed up for this race a few weeks ago when a friend mentioned she wanted to do her first 5K. I love to support anyone who is taking on the challenge of running and races, so I told her I'd be there too.


The race was at Ada Hayden Park in Ames, which is a lovely little recreational area with trails that loop a pond. It's mostly flat and very peaceful. I ran out there once when I was training for my half-marathon, so I knew I'd like the course. 

The weather that morning was cool (50s) but also really humid. My lungs were not happy about all the moisture in the air. I also slept terribly on Sunday night and didn't hydrate very well on Sunday, so my body fought me for most of the race. As a result, I ended up walking quite a bit and my time was not great.  

But I'm choosing to focus on the fact that I did another race for my goal of one per month this year. I'll actually end up surpassing my goal, as I did two in April and will do two this month as well. I'm not mad.

+++++

Last week's workouts
Friday: Off
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off
Monday: 5! on the 4th 5K
Tuesday: 3.25 miles on the treadmill
Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 2 miles outdoors (it was really hot and humid, but I'm trying to condition my lungs to get used to it)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover