Image Map

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

All's fair in mid-August

One of my state's great traditions -- the Iowa State Fair -- ended this year's run on Sunday. I know there are a lots of states out there that claim their fair is the best, and everyone's entitled to their opinion. But I love my state's fair. I look forward to it each year and can never go just once in the ten-day span.

This year, I was only there twice ... and only for a few hours each time, but I packed plenty into my visits.

Food ...

The Duke from the Corn Stand





A fried pickle dawg (pickle wrapped in cream cheese and pastrami and then fried)


The Pride of Iowa Wrap -- a jalapeno cheddar tortilla with pork shoulder, sweet corn salsa, and hickory smoked bacon bits. It is layered with cheddar jack cheese, fresh avocado relish, chipotle aioli and crispy tortilla bites for added texture.

... live music ...


Hold For Swank -- I went to college with the lead singer and the bassist.
Tim Stop!!!!


... and plenty of Iowa craft beer.



I also looked at some animals, the butter cow, the dollhouses, and the ugly cakes.

Oh, and I volunteered at the Iowa Craft Beer Tent for the second year in a row.



All in all, it was another successful year of fairgoing.

What's your favorite part of the fair?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover