Image Map

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Show Us Your Books: September

Life According to Steph

I finished three books in September, which isn't terrible considering how busy I was.

I love this football romance series. It's well-written with interesting characters and sweet love stories. I enjoy the behind-the-scenes look at the football business as well. Sure, it's likely dramatized for the book, but Ms. Murray displays a decent knowledge of the game and the business.


I loved the movie version of this, so I wanted to read the book. It's a very wordy novel, but I appreciated the bigger glimpse into Sutter's mind and what makes him the way he is. The movie seemed to be equally about him and Aimee, but the book was mostly about him, which was an adjustment, but I liked it anyway. This is another situation where the book and movie are both good and have their place.


This has been on my to-read list for a long time. Everyone and their sister has read it already. The movie comes out next week. I figured it was time to dive in.  It started out a little slow and confusing. Every time I thought I was starting to figure out what was happening, there was another twist. By the time I got midway through the book, I could not put it down. I had to know what was going on. I'm not good at getting to movies and I haven't heard great things about the adaptation, but I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

++++

This was a pretty good reading month. But somehow I am completely hooked on suspense thrillers now even though I keep telling myself to pick up something lighter. Ah well.

What are you currently reading?


10 comments:

  1. I LOVED The Girl on the Train. It was one of my top 5 favorites that I read in 2015. I have contemplated rereading it before seeing the movie, but then there's a part of me that worries that the movie might ruin my experience with the book. I guess if I go see it, I just have to take the movie at face value and almost separate it from the book. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll probably wait for the dvd for the girl on the train, though i remember liking the book well enough. the football series sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that Emily Blunt is amazing in TGonT. I don't typically see movie adaptations (uh, or movies in general, lol) but might see that at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend from work saw The Girl On The Train right after she finished reading the book and didn't love the film adaptation while I've heard from other people that have read the book that they thought that it was good. I'm hoping to see it eventually too, and I'm hoping that I'll like it because I read the book a while ago. The Spectacular Now sounds like a book that I'd really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the exact same way about The Girl on the Train. I didn't like Rachel but by the mid-way book, there was no turning back and I had to figure out what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found Girl on the Train to be a slow start too (and kind of boring at first), but ya, it definitely picked up for me at the halfway point! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, although I adore Emily Blunt, and I really disliked the main character in the book, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out on screen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read TGOTT back when it first came out and it blew me away. When I hear people say they didn't love it, if they just read it recently, I feel like maybe the expectations were too high ha ha. Like they assumed it would be life-changing because everyone is always talking about it.

    I really liked the movie The Spectacular now. I haven't looked for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very curious to see the movie adaptation of TGOTT. I didn't love the characters but the story was engrossing so it should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had trouble getting into The Girl on the Train, at first. But at some point, I did the same as you, and I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to seeing the movie eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty interested in seeing the movie The Girl on the Train because I've forgotten the story...I just remember not being able to put the book down. Like you, getting me to a movie is another story.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover