Image Map

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Finding time for writing

Last week, I mentioned that I want to get back to writing more. I'm still trying to figure out how I can keep up with my writing. I can't say I don't have time, because that's not true. I can find time for everything that's important to me. I just have to figure out how to manage my time better.



My writing is a priority. I want to finish this next book. This series. I want to keep exercising that side of my brain and personality. I'm not prepared to give it up, even as I continue to add things to my life.

Ideally, I'd have time to write a little every day. But life isn't ideal. At least mine isn't. Currently, in most days, I have to fit in work, working out, eating, sleeping, blogging, keeping up with friends, and time with Sean. I'd also like to squeeze in some time for reading books, relaxing, and ... oh, yes, writing. That's the point of this post. Looking at that list, there's no way I can write every day. But I think I should be able to find a few hours each week for putting words on paper ... or the screen.

I started looking at how I work everything else in. My workouts, for example, are put in my phone calendar and my work calendar. I treat them as appointments that may be rescheduled but rarely skipped altogether. Perhaps I need to start doing that with my writing. Maybe I need to literally block out time each week for writing -- an evening, a Saturday morning, an early weekday morning (before work) -- and keep that appointment.

I think I'll start small -- and find three hours this week to write. That means closing down everything else -- no facebook, no Twitter, no pinterest. Just Microsoft Word. For one hour or two at a time.

Here's what I've put in my calendar for the rest of this week:
Thursday: 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m - 10 a.m.

It's a small start, but it's a start.

How do you make time for all of your things?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover