Image Map

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Two new challenges in the new year



A friend shared this image, and I immediately loved it. The quote really puts things in a different perspective, especially as I try to adopt some new habits.

On Jan. 1, I started the 31 Days of Yoga with Adriene.

On Jan. 2, I started the Advocare 24-Day Challenge.

New year, new me? Not really.

Even though it's completely cliche to start new fitness/health programs at the start of a new calendar year, I'm doing it. I don't care if I'm part of a wave of people that some people hate. I don't care if people roll their eyes when I tell them about my new ventures and challenges. I'm doing this for me. No one else.


I'm currently a week into the yoga program. I love Adriene. She seems very friendly, very real, and witty at times. Her instructions are also fairly easy to follow. I am still very new to yoga, but I haven't had too much trouble following her. I like that the workouts are roughly 30 minutes (give or take). That's a brief portion of my day. And I don't have an excuse for not finding time. So I think I can stick with it, although I admit, I don't like doing this every day. I wan tot incorporate more yoga into my routine, so I hope I'm not burned out on it after this challenge. Another thing -- I love how I feel after I'm done with yoga, but sometimes my attention span wanes during the workout. I keep thinking about what else I need to get done. How do I stop that?



I'm on day seven of the 24-Day Challenge. So I'm almost done with the cleanse phase. It's gone well so far, and I haven't had too much trouble with temptation to stray from my plan. I've done this challenge once before, but I think I only did the first 10 days. This time I'm doing the full 24. I figure it's just over three weeks. I can do anything for that length of time. And I'm really hoping it'll help me adopt some better eating habits. So far, so good. I feel like I have more energy, and I don't feel as bloated or gross as I did right after the holidays. Meals have been easy. Staying away from beer has been less easy, especially considering I work at a brewery. Good thing I only have a shift or two a week. I'll just have to stay strong.

+++++

Last week's workouts
Sunday - Yoga with Adriene
Monday - Yoga with Adriene + 8-minute abs
Tuesday - Barre class + Yoga with Adriene
Wednesday - 30 minutes on the treadmill + Yoga with Adriene
Thursday - Tabata class + Yoga with Adriene
Friday - Yoga with Adriene
Saturday - Yoga with Adriene

Yoga every day has created an impressive streak (for me). I've also found I just want to be active every day. 

Click over to see how Holly did this week. That girl inspires me!




2 comments:

  1. It took me a long time to realize that, yes, yoga counts as a workout. It does amazing things for our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so happy to hear people starting to make changes in their life, no matter when it is!! And yes, it's crowded at the gym or in classes, but we all had to start sometime, right?? And hopefully this is the time that sticks. There's nothing wrong with starting over :) I hope yoga continues to go well for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover