Image Map

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Wedding Wednesday: All about the cake

The tastiest part of wedding planning is the food choices. Finalizing our menu with our caterer (a local award-winning barbecue restaurant) was fun, but choosing our bakery takes the cake. Ha ha. Yeah, I went there.

Last winter, Sean and I went to a bridal fair. I was on a clean eating stretch, so he was the only one of us who got to taste all the samples. So I relied on his palate to tell me which was best. I was surprised (and pleased) that his favorite was from a small bakery in one of the suburbs. I love using local businesses and products whenever possible. Still, I wanted to taste the cake for myself.

We made an appointment earlier this summer to meet with the lady at the bakery. But some life things happened and we had to reschedule. We weren't sure when we'd squeeze it in with our work schedules and her hours. Finally, last Friday, we had a half-day free to stop by the bakery and taste some of her cakes.

We got three samples in the form of cupcakes:

Strawberry with vanilla buttercream, vanilla with vanilla buttercream, and chocolate with chocolate buttercream.

They were all delicious and we honestly would have been fine with any of the options. Beyond having tasty cake and frosting, the woman we met with was very easy to work with and the prices were reasonable. Oh, and the bakery/store does a lot of good for their community. Sean and I were sold before we even walked in, but tasting the cakes definitely sealed the deal.

We ended up with three sheet cake options for our guests -- marble cake with vanilla buttercream, chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream, and vanilla with strawberry filling and vanilla buttercream. We'll also be doing a cut cake of chocolate with vanilla buttercream.

Wedding planning is sweet sometimes.


1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover