Image Map

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Sunday Sweats: Hide the scale

 One of the women I with whom I work out told me she's gained eight pounds in the last few months.

Another woman in my office told me she gained three pounds over Thanksgiving weekend.

They both seemed so defeated and miserable as they said it. And the first one has been forcing herself onto the treadmill in the evenings (in addition to our regular workouts).

I used to be just like them. I would get on the scale weekly (sometimes, shamefully, more frequently). It occasionally gave me joy, when the number would dip a little. But more often than not, it just made me feel bad about myself. It made me suddenly second guess everything I'd eaten that week and any workout I skipped or "went easy" on. I decided at some point that I didn't need that kind of self-hatred and instead find a way to love myself. The scale was counterproductive to that. So I stopped weighing myself.

I don't know exactly how long I went without getting on the scale, but I finally had to at the doctor a few weeks ago. The number was about the same as it was a year ago. But I KNOW I'm in better shape than I was a year ago. How do I know? Well, I can do more push-ups and sit-ups. I'm even able to get through several of the hated burpees before I get tired. I feel better in my clothing and I don't find a lot to hate when I look at myself in the mirror (with or without clothes).

That is my progress meter.


I have spent a lot of years hating my body and trying to change it to conform to some number on the scale. Sure, I'm still not exactly where I want to be, but I've decided I'm more successful when I celebrate and take care of my body. So that's what I'm working on, and trust me, it's a constant battle, especially with voices around me talking about their war with the scale and their own body issues. And there are days I'm curious about my weight, to see if I've made any progress, but I remind myself that progress for me isn't and shouldn't be measured in pounds.

These Ed Sheeran lyrics are spot on.

+++++

Last week's workouts
Sunday - Off
Monday - Monday Morning Madness (30 mins)
Tuesday - Total Body Strength (30 mins)
Wednesday - Rested (I was not feeling well, so I skipped all workouts)
Thursday - RIPPED (30 mins)
Friday - Flex Friday (30 mins)
Saturday - Off


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover